Random Gas Smell

Nomos

My 2010 SEL (FWD) has 6100 miles on it. I have taken it on a few trips throughout the state, and I've noticed a disturbing smell of gasoline at random times on the highways, generally over 75 mph. I've always attributed it to a nearby vehicle, as it occurs at random and goes away after a few minutes. My wife had the Edge this weekend for a 240 mile round trip, and she noticed the smell on both legs of the trip, again at random intervals. She also thought it was a vehicle near her the first time she noticed it, but that vehicle exited the interstate several miles before the smell went away (there weren't any other cars around.) Has anyone else noticed this smell or does anyone know what may cause it? I really don't want to take it to the dealer because it will not show up except at random, and all service managers want the problem to be replicated in front of them or they won't lift a finger.

My 2010 SEL (FWD) has 6100 miles on it. I have taken it on a few trips throughout the state, and I've noticed a disturbing smell of gasoline at random times on the highways, generally over 75 mph. I've always attributed it to a nearby vehicle, as it occurs at random and goes away after a few minutes. My wife had the Edge this weekend for a 240 mile round trip, and she noticed the smell on both legs of the trip, again at random intervals. She also thought it was a vehicle near her the first time she noticed it, but that vehicle exited the interstate several miles before the smell went away (there weren't any other cars around.) Has anyone else noticed this smell or does anyone know what may cause it? I really don't want to take it to the dealer because it will not show up except at random, and all service managers want the problem to be replicated in front of them or they won't lift a finger.

Could be the evap cannister. I'm sure they can test it by pressurizing the fuel system.

Edited by akirby

• 6 months later...

My daughter has a 2011 Ford Edge. She and her sister reported a strong gas smell inside the vehicle and actually saw vapors today. Not sure what to do.

My daughter has a 2011 Ford Edge. She and her sister reported a strong gas smell inside the vehicle and actually saw vapors today. Not sure what to do.

NOT SURE WHAT TO DO? Let me help you - GET THE CAR TO A DEALER ASAP.

That is a dangerous situation that needs to be checked asap. It could be an actual fuel leak that could lead to a fire or just the evap cannister.

Either way, get it checked fast!