Power Steering Sluggish at Low Speed

kenwowski

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2010 MKX that I put some serious mileage on every week. I have only had it for six months and I just hit 21,000.

I notice when I am backing out of a parking space that the steering feels "under-boosted" - It is almost like it loses power for a second. Has anyone else experience this?

I also hear a whine a low speeds when accelerating. Could it be the PTU? I believe its all related.

Thank you.

Edited by kenwowski

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2010 MKX that I put some serious mileage on every week. I have only had it for six months and I just hit 21,000.

I notice when I am backing out of a parking space that the steering feels "under-boosted" - It is almost like it loses power for a second. Has anyone else experience this?

I also hear a whine a low speeds when accelerating. Could it be the PTU? I believe its all related.

Thank you.

Hi ken. :D The power steering and PTU should have no effect on each other. Concerning the "under-boosted" feel: First thing to check would be the power steering fluid level. Have you checked it? Do there seem to be any leaks or drips under the vehicle when it has been parked overnight? If you look under the hood at the power steering pump, do there seem to be any drips, runs or telltale signs of a leak from the pump itself or the hoses leading to/from it?

I guess one way or another, your best bet would be to make a service appointment, since whether there is a visible leak or not, you have a legitimate concern that should be addressed. And you are well within the 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty period, so any necessary repairs would be covered.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug: .

Hi ken. :D The power steering and PTU should have no effect on each other. Concerning the "under-boosted" feel: First thing to check would be the power steering fluid level. Have you checked it? Do there seem to be any leaks or drips under the vehicle when it has been parked overnight? If you look under the hood at the power steering pump, do there seem to be any drips, runs or telltale signs of a leak from the pump itself or the hoses leading to/from it?

I guess one way or another, your best bet would be to make a service appointment, since whether there is a visible leak or not, you have a legitimate concern that should be addressed. And you are well within the 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty period, so any necessary repairs would be covered.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug: .

Thanks for the advice. I'll check under the hood tomorrow. You are right...it might be as simple as a slightly low fluid issue. The vehicle has been flawless so far and I imagine this is a minor issue.