edge 07 cabin filter

Bobsedge

We just bought an 07 with 35K on it. I noticed a funny smell coming from the vents and also what looked like small white dust particles blowing out of the vents. When I went to replace the cabin filter, all that was in the compartment was a black plastic frame with screening that was pretty dirty and no filter at all. I went to the dealer and bought a filter and opened the box and it contained a white fiber filter similar to something you would find in hvac system.

Could the filter in my car disentegrated over time??

Thanks

Bob

We just bought an 07 with 35K on it. I noticed a funny smell coming from the vents and also what looked like small white dust particles blowing out of the vents. When I went to replace the cabin filter, all that was in the compartment was a black plastic frame with screening that was pretty dirty and no filter at all. I went to the dealer and bought a filter and opened the box and it contained a white fiber filter similar to something you would find in hvac system.

Could the filter in my car disentegrated over time??

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob. :D No, the filter did not disintegrate. Not all early model year Edge's came equipped with a cabin air filter. Even in later model years, not all trim levels/models have one (not sure about the 2010-2011 models). It is difficult to pin down exactly in which model years/trim levels the cabin air filter was first introduced. However, a good rule of thumb is that if the Edge has the small screen in it (as you stated yours did), then it did not come factory equipped with the cabin air filter.

In fact, the Owners Manual in the early model years (and even more recently) states "If Equipped" when discussing the cabin air filter.

Back to your problem though: I am not sure if the later model year filter you purchased will fit in the HVAC housing of your 2007 or not, but you can remove the screen and try.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob. :D No, the filter did not disintegrate. Not all early model year Edge's came equipped with a cabin air filter. Even in later model years, not all trim levels/models have one (not sure about the 2010-2011 models). It is difficult to pin down exactly in which model years/trim levels the cabin air filter was first introduced. However, a good rule of thumb is that if the Edge has the small screen in it (as you stated yours did), then it did not come factory equipped with the cabin air filter.

In fact, the Owners Manual in the early model years (and even more recently) states "If Equipped" when discussing the cabin air filter.

Back to your problem though: I am not sure if the later model year filter you purchased will fit in the HVAC housing of your 2007 or not, but you can remove the screen and try.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Well I put a new filter in plus the screen and still small white particles blow out of the vents when I turn the fan on. I'm stumped.

Dealer said he was aware of the bulletin and said it was not covered by warranty and would cost me $230.00 to fix it. I said i'd think about it and went home and wrote Ford to complain about the charge for as acknoledged defect in the flux used.

2 days later the dealer calls me and offers to knock off $150.00 off of the charge because Ford called him with my complaint. I said that sounded pretty fair since I have a $100.00 deductible on the warranty.

I brought it in and 4 hrs later the service manager calls me and says he would eat the whole thing and there would be no charge for the cleaning.

Got it back and so far so good.

I guess my e-mail to Ford payed off.