We are seriously looking at a Ford Edge, but have found two vehicles in Saskatchewan with 03/07 manufacterers date with faulty roofs. The roof seems to power out and stall in open position. We checked others on the lot and they were fine. Is there a recall on this roof? We are wondering if it is a stoke of bad luck or good fotune.

We are seriously looking at a Ford Edge, but have found two vehicles in Saskatchewan with 03/07 manufacterers date with faulty roofs. The roof seems to power out and stall in open position. We checked others on the lot and they were fine. Is there a recall on this roof? We are wondering if it is a stoke of bad luck or good fotune.

i havent had any issues with mine.

Does this power stall occur during normal operation of the roof and then just becomes unusable? Normal operation of the roof has 2 stall positions when opening and closing, they are predetermined at the factory level.

-Dan

i havent had any issues with mine.

Does this power stall occur during normal operation of the roof and then just becomes unusable? Normal operation of the roof has 2 stall positions when opening and closing, they are predetermined at the factory level.

-Dan

Yes, the roof becomes unusable. You need to put some pressure on the glass to get the roof to move forward. I noticed that the motor sounds like it is under some heavy load. I was also wondering if the slide mechanism has some adjustment and maybe this glass is just out of alignment?

I haven't had any problems with mine at all. It does seem to open slower than most sunroofs that I have seen in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've got about 3300Kms on my New Redfire Metallic SEL Plus fully loaded Edge and LOVING IT!

I've used the BAMR roof many times now and today disaster strikes. I pull into work, park my Edge and go to close the Vista roof and it gets to about 90% closed....squeaks likes a S-O-B and refuses to close. Tried opening it the WHOLE way and then close it, still the same result. I tried several times and still no go. To me, it sounds almost like it's binding on the passenger side. So I drove it directly to my dealer.

Now here is the kicker, my wife is pregnant for our 1st child, the Edge is the only vehicle we own that we can fit a car seat in. Her due date was Monday, and if she doesn't pop the sucker out by this weekend, they will induce her. So I told my dealership that I cannot be without a vehicle this weekend whatsoever.

So they put a rush on my service order, and they will try to fix it today. If they can't, they said that they will try to at least close it so I can get it back today and then wait for the parts to come in.

Although this situation sucks, I am pretty happy so far with the treatment I have received. I know nothing more at the moment, but will gladly post the outcome of this for all to read, just in case someone else runs into this.

All in all.....I still LOVE my Edge to death! It simply rocks! Regardless of what some people whine about, this is an awesome ride!

Well, here is my update!

I got a call a couple of hours after dropping off my Edge and it was fixed. The shuttle service picked me up right away and all before lunch I was back driving my Edge with a FULLY functional Vista roof!

So what did you guys do? I asked the service guy. The short of the long is that there was barely none OR no lubrication in the track. They simply lubbed up the track to my Vista roof and all is fine. I tested the roof after getting the keys and the nasty noise it was making was gone and the roof closed properly without much effort.

Seeing I ordered my Edge in February and got it in March, I figure it was in the height of demand and that may have been overlooked. I will keep an eye on it though and I will continue to use it as much as I was previously. But all looks good as of now.

I must state that the dealership handled this EXTREMELY well and made me very happy today.

• 2 weeks later...
So what did you guys do? I asked the service guy. The short of the long is that there was barely none OR no lubrication in the track. They simply lubbed up the track to my Vista roof and all is fine. I tested the roof after getting the keys and the nasty noise it was making was gone and the roof closed properly without much effort.

Ours did the same thing to me 2 times, and this is what I was thinking it needed done... I'm going to get a can of Silicone spray lubricant on the way home tonight and give it a few shots of that... looks like this stuff should maybe be in the car wash bucket to spray one when cleaning it up anyhow...Few shots around seals, locks and hinges once and a while...

Lubricates and waterproofs all types of mechanical equipment. Stops friction and squeaks. Coats hinges and channels. Prevents locks, doors and windows from binding. High silicone formula does not attract dust or dirt. Protects and renews rubber mountings, bushings and weatherstripping. Prevents binding, sticking and deterioration. Non-gumming. Will not mar paint, rubber or plastic surfaces. Waterproofs and electrically insulates.

perm80070.jpg

Permatex Silicone Spray Lubricant

Bryce

Silicone spray lube did the trick. Much faster, no pauses when closing other than the preset ones, quiter too. I took the silicone spray and got the tracks real good with the BAMR open and then put a "straw" attachment on the nozzle and injsected into the tracks behind the BAMR with it closed. had a bit of an odor at first, but that went away and all is well now.

Our edge has a build date in February (similar to Zeus's Edge), so maybe they had an issue with lubing the roof around then. There was some lube in the tracks, but it didn't look like it had a goodcoat.. like they dabbed a bit in a few places instead of lubing the entire run.

Bryce

I am an owner of a ford edge in Northern California and I have to say that I was only able to drive the vehicle for two weeks. ONLY!!!! I had to take in on May 15th and I have not received the my car back. I was reading that some people had problems with it getting stuck like the load was too much for the sunroof. That is how mine started. After that is when it was only able to go to the tilt position. Would close fine and tilt, but no sliding. The dealership had to get some engineer to look at the problem and a mechanic from even more up North to come down and show how to uninstall. I know how that sounds they dont know what they are doing! That is one thing that the did admit is that they did not. This was the first EDGE ever for them. So they had to order 11 parts which have been trickling into the service center. They told me that those parts are hard to come by. They are having problems getting their hands on them. What they also found out is that there was some stress fructure on the railing that they found. STRESS FRACTURES?? Make me wonder the EDGE was only driven on city roads and highways. Never off road with it all. No time anyways I only had for two weeks. Has anyone gotten this type of results?

We had our Edge at teh dealer for some assorted minor issues today and had them look at the Vista Roof... they made some sort of adjustment to the right side track. About 2.3hr labor according to the invoice for pull the head liner and fix the track. Seems to be way more quiet now (almost silent) and a bit quicker opening and closing.

The dealer did something about 1 out of 4 of our concerns.

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

• 10 months later...

I bought my 2008 Edge in February. First nice day in April I had the roof open on a trip and it jammed open. The closest dealer I could find said the tracks were too light weight. I got it back to my dealer who replaced the motor and belt. I was without it for a week and a half. Lo and behold the same thing happend again this past weekend. An awful grating noise and no movement forward or back, jammed open again. I left it with the dealer on Monday and haven't gotten a return call to find out what's wrong this time - 3 days! I'll pass the word about the lubricant to the dealer. I'd really like to drive my new car and hope to get it back soon!