Cross Traffic Alert is disappointing

brucedmd

I have the CTA cross traffic alert system on my Edge. I have been pretty disappointed with it.

It says it can detect a vehicle up to 45 feet away traveling less than 15 mph. I have found in reality it is not sensitive enough.

The approaching vehicle doesnt register a beep warning until its within 6-8 feet of my car. Too late for the warning to do much good.

Is it just my car, or have others found the CTA to be sensitive enough?

Edited by brucedmd

I have the CTA cross traffic alert system on my Edge. I have been pretty disappointed with it.

It says it can detect a vehicle up to 45 feet away traveling less than 15 mph. I have found in reality it is not sensitive enough.

The approaching vehicle doesnt register a beep warning until its within 6-8 feet of my car. Too late for the warning to do much good.

One demo video I saw was implying that this system would work best in a mall parking lot.

I never expected much out of that system. BLIS is good tho.

This isn't something that's all that easy to test, so I set up a test with me backing up from my driveway with 2 vehicles parked parellel on either side and my wife driving her car on the street from one side. The audible warning only went off when she was nearly upon me (she did have strict instructions not to hit me....) So, yeah, it's seems like it's not something you ever want to rely upon.