2007 MKX AWD odor

Rezolution

I had a horrible smell coming from underneath the engine of our car. I took it in 5 times before they agreed to change the PTU seal out. The bottom of the PTU was covered in gear oil. They changed it out and it doesn't leak in that particular spot any more.

It doesn't smell anywhere as bad as it used it. It used to stink all of the time. Now it just stinks when you stop at a light or back the car up. The interesting thing is, I can't see leaking fluid anywhere any more... The ONLY thing I can tell is that it smells SO BAD on the drivers side wheel well just above the tire of the car, but it has no odor in the passenger side wheel well. Somehow this odor gets sucked into the car when you stop or back up.

Does anyone know where it could be leaking from that I would smell it at the very top of the tire on the drivers side wheel well??? And why I can't see any leaking fluid or dirty parts on the car covered with fluid?

Edited by Rezolution

• 2 weeks later...

I had a horrible smell coming from underneath the engine of our car. I took it in 5 times before they agreed to change the PTU seal out. The bottom of the PTU was covered in gear oil. They changed it out and it doesn't leak in that particular spot any more.

It doesn't smell anywhere as bad as it used it. It used to stink all of the time. Now it just stinks when you stop at a light or back the car up. The interesting thing is, I can't see leaking fluid anywhere any more... The ONLY thing I can tell is that it smells SO BAD on the drivers side wheel well just above the tire of the car, but it has no odor in the passenger side wheel well. Somehow this odor gets sucked into the car when you stop or back up.

Does anyone know where it could be leaking from that I would smell it at the very top of the tire on the drivers side wheel well??? And why I can't see any leaking fluid or dirty parts on the car covered with fluid?

Anyone??

The dealer cleaned it pretty well. It's not dripping and getting that bottom black piece all coated with gear oil any more. It has to be a very tiny leak somewhere now. I was hoping someone could tell me what seal is leaking that I can only smell it on the drivers side wheel well. Or is someone could tell me what places I should be checking for leaks. There aren't any visible on the underside of the car but I'm not sure if i need to be looking at it from above in the engine compartment or pulling off a wheel or a boot cover or what...

• 3 weeks later...

The work-around I was using to avoid the odor was to leave recirculate on... The only problem is, in the wintertime I need to use the defroster and that automatically shuts off recirculate after a minute or two. Recirculate also doesn't automatically stay on after you restart the car (unless you leave the AC on manual and bi-level air vents). It's a huge pain in the rear to have to remember to press the recirculate button every time I start the car and every two minutes when the defroster is on...

I really wish I knew where it was leaking from now because it stinks all the time and smells the whole garage up. There isn't a single sign of where it's leaking from other than the smell from the drivers side wheel well...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sounds like something common, maybe you should read other threads. and/or post there since you're not gettting any response here.

I know i turn my recirc button on to avoid the smell, haven't looked under the car or took it in yet, but i need to since it's still under warranty.