Review and Open Letter to Ford Regarding the MyTouch System

I picked my Limited up already installed with Gen 2, and I can't imagine how bad the touch screen responsiveness was before for people to say it is better now. The Pioneer AVIC Z-110BT I had in my last car was lightning fast in touch screen response AND had the tabbed alphabetization reffered to in 7(B) of the letter. I luckily haven't experienced any of the other issues, but points 6 and 7(B) are valid and inexcusable oversights in a (potentially) great system.

HaHa! Whoops! I guess i just accidentally figured out the HTML formatting for 7(B) .......meant to say 7-b

I picked my Limited up already installed with Gen 2, and I can't imagine how bad the touch screen responsiveness was before for people to say it is better now. The Pioneer AVIC Z-110BT I had in my last car was lightning fast in touch screen response AND had the tabbed alphabetization reffered to in 7(B) of the letter. I luckily haven't experienced any of the other issues, but points 6 and 7(B) are valid and inexcusable oversights in a (potentially) great system.

What is Gen 2? What differences are there?

I still can not believe all the problems with the Sync systems and navigation. An $100 Nuvi works better. Ford Nav: can't change voices, can not input Lat/long, sends you on real long-out of the way routes, (Google Maps, Nuvi and Mapquest are the same, Ford Nav routes are VERY different), annoying traffic alerts get in the way and are too slow to evaluate and too sensitive, (slow traffic areas come up, but the suggested route around them add to the trip time). With the Nuvi, you can search for hotels for example, in another state and town, and Nuvi gives you the list with their telephone number. The Nav system is too slow to use when moving. They did not get this one right yet!

I still can not believe all the problems with the Sync systems and navigation. An $100 Nuvi works better. Ford Nav: can't change voices, can not input Lat/long, sends you on real long-out of the way routes, (Google Maps, Nuvi and Mapquest are the same, Ford Nav routes are VERY different), annoying traffic alerts get in the way and are too slow to evaluate and too sensitive, (slow traffic areas come up, but the suggested route around them add to the trip time). With the Nuvi, you can search for hotels for example, in another state and town, and Nuvi gives you the list with their telephone number. The Nav system is too slow to use when moving. They did not get this one right yet!

I've never encountered any factory navigation system that had as much overall functionality/flexibility as a $100 Garmin nuvi. But Ford's current 2011 navigation is even more disappointing than most. Mine doesn't even display provincial borders!

It was worst than it is today? OMG!!!! I can't believe it... I have an Edge that is a week old, it have Gen2, and it feels like the slowest computer I ever had.... in the price range of this car, it should have a much better CPU and the software still feel like beta software, full of bugs, I can't believe I had to pull the fuse and reset it twice in 1 week....

It was worst than it is today? OMG!!!! I can't believe it... I have an Edge that is a week old, it have Gen2, and it feels like the slowest computer I ever had.... in the price range of this car, it should have a much better CPU and the software still feel like beta software, full of bugs, I can't believe I had to pull the fuse and reset it twice in 1 week....

In my experience the speed and accuracy of the system hasn't changed a bit after the update. It is very poor compared to any modern touch screen interface I've seen. I've read that the hardware is quite robust but Ford probably cut corners wherever they thought they could get away with it, like with their use of cheap resistive touch technology. But the interface was written in Adobe Flash so outside of reprogramming it in a more appropriate language, there really can't be anything done to improve the speed significantly.