(Very) Initial Impression: Edge Vs. 2005 Murano

We just traded in our 2005 Murano SL (loaded with all options) for a 2007 Edge SEL+ (also loaded with just about all options). Having only driven it briefly, here's an initial impression comparison:

Ride/Handling: The Edge beats the Murano handily, in my opinion. The Edge has less body roll, and provides a much smoother ride.

Interior Noise: So far, the Edge wins here by a mile. The Murano was much noisier on the road than our Edge. (Haven't had the sunroof open on the Edge yet, though).

Power: The two cars are pretty close here. I think the Murano has a bit more power, but the Edge's gearing provides better accelleration (in my opinion).

Seats: It's a split decision here. The Edge seats feel more comfortable, but there are definitely some serious tradeoffs. The Murano's power seats had more power adjustments available (power rear tilt, for example...the Edge, for some mysterious reason, has a manual adjust lever for the seatback). The Edge provides better support. But...and this is a serious one....the darned headrests on the Edge are canted way too far forward, causing my head to bounce against them no matter how I set the seatback position. It's going to require that I turn the headrests around in the Edge, which will create a less attractive seat, but eliminate the headaches. I suspect this bothers a few people, as my in-laws own a Ford Focus that they had to turn the headrests around on, too. I almost wonder if Ford designed the headrests for crash dummies instead of real people?

Navigation/Audio Unit: Again...it's another split decision. The Edge's audio provides better bass response than the Murano's Bose system...but the high end speakers are terrible when compared to the Murano. The Edge's navigation system has a clearer display than the Murano's (more pixels, I think). The Murano's Sirius radio provided a scrolling display for the song title, artist, etc. if it was too long...the Ford's system simply truncates the text. The Murano's Nav radio allows you to show your choice of the artist, genre, or song title on the top status bar at all times...and you can switch between the three by pressing the Info button. The Ford's unit seems kinda primitive in this regard. As far as I can tell, you can only see the genre displayed on the top status bar. To see the rest of the song information, you have to switch away from the navigation screen completely....and you can't do THAT while driving. The Edge does provide an auxiliary jack for your MP3 player in the console...this is (still!) not available in the Murano. All in all, I have to give this one to the Murano.

Lights/Gauges: To be honest, I haven't driven the Edge at night yet. But our Murano had HID headlights, which aren't even an option on the Edge. The Edge's instruments have a better look to them than the Murano's. I do like the "puddle" lights on the bottom of the Edge's mirrors...a cool touch. I prefer the Murano's rear view mirror, as it has the compass on it. And...the Murano displays the outside temp in the nav system's display, not the green display below as on the Edge. On this one, I haven't decided who wins just yet.

Anyway...the above are just my initial impressions.....I'm sure they'll be revised over the next few months.

Good overall comparison especially given we looked at the Murano also. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I have to agree, if there's one thing I didn't (and still don't) like about the Edge it's the headrests...way too far forward. I can't wear a ponytail in it! :D

Im only 5'1 - headrests not even an issue for me..

Thanks for the comparison.. I gave up my toyota coupe which I loved - but the Edge surpasses all my expectations.

I love the power, the smoothness, the amazing quietness - it is a fantastic looking vehicle.

And I love all my new "toys" - which are a helluv of a lot more than my 2001 coupe had.

Keep on driving... I think your appreciation for the Edge will grow.

Excellent info. I hope you provide updates as you gain experience with the Edge.

I'm surprised you prefer the handling in the Edge, since this is one area where the magazines tend to favor the Nissan. I haven't driven a Murano recently myself.

I test drove an MKX with the same sunroof. About as quiet as they come thanks to a very large wind blocker.

Edited by mkaresh

Excellent info. I hope you provide updates as you gain experience with the Edge.

I'm surprised you prefer the handling in the Edge, since this is one area where the magazines tend to favor the Nissan. I haven't driven a Murano recently myself.

I test drove an MKX with the same sunroof. About as quiet as they come thanks to a very large wind blocker.

Just an update to my initial post in this topic....

I was incorrect....you CAN change from the map display to the radio display while driving. I do hope Ford provides some sort of programming of the nav unit to change the upper status to display the artist/song title, and have it scroll. This is how the FM radio works for RDS stations...one would assume it's possible to do this with the Sirius mode as well.

I did post some pictures of our new Edge in the Member's Gallery. There's a shot in there of the headrests I flipped around.

To comment on your post regarding the handling of the Murano vs. the Edge....I think it's because I prefer a "smooth" ride over a "sporty" ride. Personally, I'd rather not feel every bump in the road as I drive. And I should repeat...the Edge is so much quieter than the Murano!!!

Just an update to my initial post in this topic....

I was incorrect....you CAN change from the map display to the radio display while driving. I do hope Ford provides some sort of programming of the nav unit to change the upper status to display the artist/song title, and have it scroll. This is how the FM radio works for RDS stations...one would assume it's possible to do this with the Sirius mode as well.

I did post some pictures of our new Edge in the Member's Gallery. There's a shot in there of the headrests I flipped around.

To comment on your post regarding the handling of the Murano vs. the Edge....I think it's because I prefer a "smooth" ride over a "sporty" ride. Personally, I'd rather not feel every bump in the road as I drive. And I should repeat...the Edge is so much quieter than the Murano!!!

I had to flip the headrests around like that when test driving the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu a few years back, and have wanted to in a few others cars. It's an increasingly common issue, with increasing attention on whiplash protection.

Many cars have active head restraints these days, where the head restraint moves forward in a rear impact forces your upper body into the seatback. Nissan does this in most if not all of its cars. I wonder if the problem in the Edge happens when a manufacturer saves a few bucks by not taking this route.

If you do flip them around and get rear-ended, the insurance company could potentially try to limit their payout, and you can probably forget about being able to sue Ford.

Edited by mkaresh