2011 Edge Interior Temps

Hi,

My '11 Edge has an interesting issue. The internal temp gets set to 72 or AUTO. However, once the car warms up, the temperature is MUCH warmer than 72. I run the temp down to 60 and it gets cold then slowly start bumping the temp up. Once I get to 72 again it gets really hot. I cant seem to get the temp to stay constant. Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Hi,

My '11 Edge has an interesting issue. The internal temp gets set to 72 or AUTO. However, once the car warms up, the temperature is MUCH warmer than 72. I run the temp down to 60 and it gets cold then slowly start bumping the temp up. Once I get to 72 again it gets really hot. I cant seem to get the temp to stay constant. Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Make sure you're not on dual temp mode and make sure you're in full auto mode, Have you tested the actual temp with a thermometer near the hvac controls? If it's really off by more than a couple of degrees in full auto mode then the interior temp sensor may be bad. Have the dealer check it.

Hi,

thanks in advance.

I had exactly the same issue. Anything under 72 was too cold and 72 was too hot. I found early on that it appeared to be related to the external temp. When it was within 5-10 deg of 72 outside, it didn't seem to be able to regulate it right. I'm not sure if this was correct as it quickly went to freezing or below after I got the Edge so I didn't have a lot of time to test this theory. My "Auto" setting now seems to work quite well when set to whatever temp I ask it to. I'm wondering if the thermal resistor had to get "broken in". I did not change a thing. It just started working better. I'll retest my external ambient temp theory in the spring.

Before I had to adjust my temp every 5 min, now I haven't touched it in weeks.

My 2010 has had the same problem for a year. I have had the dealer check it twice but both times they said the system was fine.

Does the system have to be in"Auto" mode? I have run some temperature checks and the air comes out at 100+ degrees until I adjust the temperature low and then it comes out close to the outside amient temperature (this is without the "Auto" setting on). I tried correlating it to the outside temperature but was not able to get any consistency.

I will go in again and take this post to see if they can fix it. Thanks for the information.

Edited by Amarillo_man

A few thoughts about auto climate control in general. Some systems will do all the things I mention, others not. We all know they continuously take an internal cabin temp and check it against the set temp and adjust accordingly, this is obvious but there is much more going on. The cabin temp is adjusted based on many factors. There is (or can be) a light sensor which takes into consideration direct sunlight and the system will run cooler than the set temp to account for radiant heat. When the windshield wipers are on and the outside temp falls within a temp range the system will assume the likelihood of window fogging and increase flow/temp to the vents associated with defog. When the temp at startup implies frosting on the windows the system will increase flow to the defrost vents. When the outside temp is at a certain range and the cabin temp is hotter (summer, parked, just got in and its scorching hot inside) the system will assume it needs to punch out some cold air as soon as possible and invoke air conditioning, recirculate, increase fan speeds etc. The opposite is true when the cabin temp and outside temp are similar (inside temp cold, outside temp equal) and assume you want some heat and you want it now and will adjust accordingly. All this juggling while still attempting to maintain the overall cabin temp at the set point and get it there as soon as possible.

There are many more but I cant recall them all now. I once went to a meeting at the corvette club where we had an engineer from Chevrolet as a guest speaker. He was actually working specifically on exhaust for the corvette but he discussed in detail many aspects of cars and their design and when people brought up some complaints about the auto climate control he responded with those things I mentioned and many more. An auto climate control system is far more complex to program than I at least had ever realized. I can only speak of my own limited experience here but it includes a number of cars from different outfits. I have owned cars from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Chevrolet, Dodge and now the MKX with auto climate and none of them was perfect. They all had their quirks. Surprisingly it was not the higher end manufacturers that had the least fiddling required system, that I encountered in my corvette. Overall they were close though and I think this says something about just how hard it is to make a system that can account for all the possible real world conditions. To say nothing of people who (for instance) are boiling because they just got done with a long walk in the heat when they got in, or were freezing after being out in the cold, just hopped in the car with a coat soaking with rain that will insta fog the windows. The list is endless.

IMO expecting these systems to be flawless with current technology will lead to disappointment because it cant be done. You will have to adjust your set point at times to account for conditions. If you just got in with that previously mentioned sopping jacket you are likely going to have to take matters into your own hands and actually switch to defog and give it enough fan to get the job done.

Last the variables in a car are hugely beyond a house where you have many times the interior air volume, no need to defog, more insulation, more materials accounting for heat soak, etc. IMO people get hung up on the number. i.e. I set it on 72 so it should work just like in my house where 72 is perfect. In your car you need to turn the knob, push the button, whatever it takes, til the set temp is comfortable no matter what the number you see says.

It seems that people here think that the temperature of the air coming out of the vents shoud be what the climate control is set to...this is false. The temperature setting relates to the interior temperature and has nothing to do with the temp of the air coming out of the vents. Once the interior temp reaches what you set the climate control at then the temp coming out of the outlets will start to change to keep the vehicle at that temperature. .

Well I for one have learned a lot from the last two posts. I appreciate being educated on how the system works. Maybe it is just me but I like to know at least a litte more than the "AUTO" description in the owners manual.

It works like your home HVAC thermostat. Just set it on the temp you want to achieve and let it do it's thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I am old school. I was trying to run the vent and get more mpg if the outside temperature allowed it. Sounds like I need to do just what you say, set it and forget it.

I have a 10 Limited. I just started having a problem with dual vents. The passenger side stays on max heat, will burn your hand. The drivers side will adjust. It does the same on any setting. I guess a blend door is stuck. I plan to bring it in soon.

Turn your heat or A/C on at home, now stand in front of the vent.... notice how hot/cold the air is? No go stand in the middle of the room.... you cant feel the air blowing anymore but your house is at a constant temp.

This is exactly how the cars climate control works but it is a smaller more compact version of your home system so that is why you can feel the difference easy.