Help a brother out...

ACWeller

I have a new to me 08 Edge SE that my drives. We bought it friday night and made it home just fine. I hadn't had a chance to look the car over to see if it needed some mechanical attention before bringing it home because she was in a hurry to get it. Fast forward to 6pm saturday evening, she gets out of work and the car wont start. She called me in a panic and I came to save the day. We drove it to dinner then home with zero problems. Come this morning when she left to go to work... freakin thing wont start again! I checked all the lights, lamps, and do-dads that could have been left on and NOTHING. So... whats the deal? Please help, Im mechanically inclinded but not with electical stuff. any sugestions on things I should look for or anything would be great.

thanks

ACWeller

I have a new to me 08 Edge SE that my drives. We bought it friday night and made it home just fine. I hadn't had a chance to look the car over to see if it needed some mechanical attention before bringing it home because she was in a hurry to get it. Fast forward to 6pm saturday evening, she gets out of work and the car wont start. She called me in a panic and I came to save the day. We drove it to dinner then home with zero problems. Come this morning when she left to go to work... freakin thing wont start again! I checked all the lights, lamps, and do-dads that could have been left on and NOTHING. So... whats the deal? Please help, Im mechanically inclinded but not with electical stuff. any sugestions on things I should look for or anything would be great.

thanks

ACWeller

Hi AC. :D Welcome to the Edge Forums. Sorry your first post had to be a problem/issue related.

How many miles on the Edge? Your Edge has a 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty and a 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty along with Complementary Roadside Assistance. If you are still within the Bumper to Bumper Warranty, let Ford diagnose and take care of the issue. In this way, you will have no out-of-pocket expenses.

You don't mention how you "saved the day". Did you jump the Edge? Did you install a new battery? Did it just happen to start for you when you tried, etc. etc? If you jumped the battery, then the problem could simply be a bad battery (will no longer hold a charge). If it is not the battery, then it could be a host of other electrical issues. If you are outside the Bumper to Bumper Warranty and want to tackle this yourself, start with having the battery tested. If it tests bad, replace it. If it tests good, then you would need to go through the regular troubles shooting steps and it may be best to let the Dealer find the problem, since it may still be covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi AC. :D Welcome to the Edge Forums. Sorry your first post had to be a problem/issue related.

How many miles on the Edge? Your Edge has a 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty and a 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty along with Complementary Roadside Assistance. If you are still within the Bumper to Bumper Warranty, let Ford diagnose and take care of the issue. In this way, you will have no out-of-pocket expenses.

You don't mention how you "saved the day". Did you jump the Edge? Did you install a new battery? Did it just happen to start for you when you tried, etc. etc? If you jumped the battery, then the problem could simply be a bad battery (will no longer hold a charge). If it is not the battery, then it could be a host of other electrical issues. If you are outside the Bumper to Bumper Warranty and want to tackle this yourself, start with having the battery tested. If it tests bad, replace it. If it tests good, then you would need to go through the regular troubles shooting steps and it may be best to let the Dealer find the problem, since it may still be covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Ah yes, I saved the day by jumping it. Its out of its oem warrenty as it has 44k on the odo. I'm really not in the mood to deal with it so

I'll probably just send it to the dealer on a flat bed and let them deal with it.

Ah yes, I saved the day by jumping it. Its out of its oem warrenty as it has 44k on the odo. I'm really not in the mood to deal with it so

I'll probably just send it to the dealer on a flat bed and let them deal with it.

Hi AC. :D Just to play it safe: You know that you have Ford Complementary Roadside Assistance for 5 years/60,000 miles, correct? So if you plan on having it flat-bedded to the Dealership, call Ford Roadside Assistance so you can avoid the out-of-pocket expense.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi AC. :D Just to play it safe: You know that you have Ford Complementary Roadside Assistance for 5 years/60,000 miles, correct? So if you plan on having it flat-bedded to the Dealership, call Ford Roadside Assistance so you can avoid the out-of-pocket expense.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I was not aware of that, thanks for the heads up. are there any recalls or tsbs for corrosion on the batt terminals? that seem to be the problem here. I clean them off with a good wire bristle brush but it seems the battery strap and maybe the top of the battery box are missing. there is also a large amount of corrision on what I assume is the battery strap tie down bolt on the right side of the battery.