Aftermarket Roof Racks for '11 w/ Vista Roof?

frybel

I just checked the Thule fit guide on their site; no mention of a 2011 Edge. However, Yakima shows a fit guide for the 2011 and the components match a 2010. So, from Yakima's point of view same roof. You may want to contact Thule and put a bug in their ear.

I need to order racks in a couple of months to transport my kayaks. I too have a BAMR roof. I originally wanted a 2007 Edge when they first came out, but both rack manufacturers took several months to release a rack system for the BAMR roof. I instead drove a Vovlo for few years just to transport my boats. I like a glass roof so I can check on my boats; great way to see if they shifted or disappeared.

What do you plan on transporting?

You may want to contact Thule and put a bug in their ear. I'm sending them an email and asking. Hopefully, between the two us Thule will release a rack. I own a lot of their equipment.

Received an answer back fro Thule CS -

"Yes, we do have a fit for this vehicle. You will need the 480 Traverse foot pack, fit kit# 1530, and the LB58 load bars. And yes...this does include the models with the vista roof."

And if you would like to go the Yakima route, you can do what I did . . .

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1890-yakima-q-towers-and-bamr/

• 1 month later...

I just checked the Thule fit guide on their site; no mention of a 2011 Edge. However, Yakima shows a fit guide for the 2011 and the components match a 2010. So, from Yakima's point of view same roof. You may want to contact Thule and put a bug in their ear.

I need to order racks in a couple of months to transport my kayaks. I too have a BAMR roof. I originally wanted a 2007 Edge when they first came out, but both rack manufacturers took several months to release a rack system for the BAMR roof. I instead drove a Vovlo for few years just to transport my boats. I like a glass roof so I can check on my boats; great way to see if they shifted or disappeared.

What do you plan on transporting?

You may want to contact Thule and put a bug in their ear. I'm sending them an email and asking. Hopefully, between the two us Thule will release a rack. I own a lot of their equipment.

I just purchased the Thule racks for a 2010 and it fit perfectly on my 2011. Thule has not yet updated their fit guides.

• 3 months later...

I just purchased the Thule racks for a 2010 and it fit perfectly on my 2011. Thule has not yet updated their fit guides.

You have any pics of the rack installed? It's July, but I'm already thinking boarding season!!! :yahoo:

Just want to get some feedback on asthetics, MPGs, wind noise, etc... before dropping a few hundred $.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You have any pics of the rack installed? It's July, but I'm already thinking boarding season!!! :yahoo:

Just want to get some feedback on asthetics, MPGs, wind noise, etc... before dropping a few hundred $.

Thanks.

did you go with the 480 Traverse foot pack?

Does everyone still like it. I want to transport some kayaks.

did you go with the 480 Traverse foot pack?

Does everyone still like it. I want to transport some kayaks.

I'm transport either an 18 foot Impex Force Cat 5 or an 18foot 3 inch Kajak Sport Millennium on the 480 feet. Here's a few things you need to know.

- front feet placed 10 inches from top of windshield

- rear feet minimum 27 inches

I placed both of my feet about 35 inches apart because I want a long spread between crossbars to carry the boat(s). I've left the racks on for about a month because I'm on the water a lot. Truthfully, I sure wish Ford designers included a real rook rack I could mount the Thules bars on. I find the 480 foot pack very stable, but I trust a real roof rack more for mounts. My leased Volvo XC70 I used Thule 450 Aerofoot and it's very solid.

I test my roof racks each time I load a boat by shaking them and the Thules rock solid on the Edge. Also, Thule provides an Allen wrench with a crude torque wrench to tighten down the feet. They use around 26 inch pounds for a torque setting.

BTW, yes you'll hear a bit of moise and gas mileage goes down a few tenths of a gallon, but I carry kayaks.

I'd still like a real roof rack for security. I know I mentioned it a few times, but just don't understand why Ford couldn't supply a real roof rack like a Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 and Q5, Kia Sorrento, Kia Sportage, etc. I guess somone fell asleep behind they desk or the lawyers complained.