Problem with taking key out of the ignition

I wanted to run this by the forum before I take my stock 2010 Edge Limited to the dealer in case someone has come across this problem and knows of a quick fix.

About two weeks ago I noticed a chime when exiting the vehicle. At first I though I had accidentally taken the lights off the automatic setting and had them on, but that wasn't it. A few days later, it happened again, and again I tested the lights and even checked my liftgate and all the other doors to make sure they were completely closed. Everything was as it should, but the chime was still there when I took the key out of the ignition and opened the driver's door.

The problem now is happening consistently and I think I have found the reason. It appears that the car thinks the key is still in the ignition. When I pull the key out, the driver seat no longer rolls back and the steering wheel no longer locks when I turn it slightly after taking the key out. In fact I can move the steering wheel, but without power steering. For the driver seat not rolling back I confirmed that the easy entry setting was not turn off by accident. It was still set to on. I toggled it off and back on, but that didn't help. The problem does go away every now and then, and when it does I can clearly hear and feel something sliding down and clicking into place inside the ignition as I'm taking the key out. At that point the car seat moves back and when I exit the vehicle there is no chime.

There must be some sort of switch in the ignition that gets pushed out of the way as the key is inserted that tells the car the key is out of the ignition, and that switch my be stuck.

Has anyone encountered this before and know if a quick fix not involving the dealer at least in the near term until I can find some time to see a dealer?

Thanks!

I wanted to run this by the forum before I take my stock 2010 Edge Limited to the dealer in case someone has come across this problem and knows of a quick fix.

About two weeks ago I noticed a chime when exiting the vehicle. At first I though I had accidentally taken the lights off the automatic setting and had them on, but that wasn't it. A few days later, it happened again, and again I tested the lights and even checked my liftgate and all the other doors to make sure they were completely closed. Everything was as it should, but the chime was still there when I took the key out of the ignition and opened the driver's door.

The problem now is happening consistently and I think I have found the reason. It appears that the car thinks the key is still in the ignition. When I pull the key out, the driver seat no longer rolls back and the steering wheel no longer locks when I turn it slightly after taking the key out. In fact I can move the steering wheel, but without power steering. For the driver seat not rolling back I confirmed that the easy entry setting was not turn off by accident. It was still set to on. I toggled it off and back on, but that didn't help. The problem does go away every now and then, and when it does I can clearly hear and feel something sliding down and clicking into place inside the ignition as I'm taking the key out. At that point the car seat moves back and when I exit the vehicle there is no chime.

There must be some sort of switch in the ignition that gets pushed out of the way as the key is inserted that tells the car the key is out of the ignition, and that switch my be stuck.

Has anyone encountered this before and know if a quick fix not involving the dealer at least in the near term until I can find some time to see a dealer?

Thanks!

You could try some powdered graphite - that's what locksmiths use. I agree it sounds like a switch is getting stuck inside the ignition.

You could try some powdered graphite - that's what locksmiths use. I agree it sounds like a switch is getting stuck inside the ignition.

Thank you, Akirby, for the suggestion. I was actually ready to go out and pick up some graphite after reading this. I had some free time last evening to study the problem better, however. It's definitely the ignition, but not a switch inside the key slot as I originally thought. It turns out that the key cylinder that turns inside the main ignition cylinder is being pulled out of the main cylnder as I take out the key. It's only being pulled out ever so slightly (about 2mm), but that's enough to cause the car to still think the key is in the ignition. All I have to do is push the inner cylinder back into place and it clicks back in and the chime goes away and the driver's seat retracks. I can reproduce and fix the problem at will now, so I'm 100% certain that this is the problem.

Looks like the ignition unit in the stearing column needs to be replaced. Oh well, another trip to the dealer. There are other things that have been bothering me that I need to see them about anyway, like the constant faint high pitch noise that mysteriously comes and goes, a noisey unbalanced fan behind the passenger side front console, and unreliable seat/mirror memory settings, and a driver's seat that has a little give when I stop and go. I love my Ford Edge, but for a $39K MSRP vehicle, I'd expect better quality controll. My $15K ford focus of nine years was better built!

You should of seen my 2001 Corvette then.

24,000 miles and it went through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. There is actually a GM TSB about this issue but since I was not the original owner GM wouldnt fix it but they offered to do the job and I would pay half for a total of $1750 out my pocket.

6 speed transmission replaced right after I bought it due to a failure at 14,000 miles (actually when I picked it up it had issues, MFG defect they said)

Drivers power seat track replaced, power brake booster replaced, EGR air valve replaced, blower motor and resistor replaced. All were replaced under 24,000 miles.

I bought it with 14,000 miles on it.

This car brand new was approx $45,000.

Now you see why I traded it in for the 2011 Edge.

I love my Ford Edge, but for a $39K MSRP vehicle, I'd expect better quality controll. My $15K ford focus of nine years was better built!