Climate question.

Hi! On an edge 2011 Limited, when using the Climate on Auto, I set it to 71F, and sometimes when I start the car, it start blowing immediately, and it blows cold air, shouldn't wait till the car get the heater at the right temperature to start blowing? All is in auto,even the fans, so I'm not actually controlling anything. Also I noticed that sometimes the AC light is ON, sometimes the AC is off, again all being in Auto. Is the system intelligent enough to turn on and off that automatically? Or not make the AC part to work if not needed even if is ON? I presume that the car will use more gas is the AC compressor is working than is not, and also makes no sense to have the AC compressor working if the can need to raise the temperature instead of lower it.

Thanks

Hi! On an edge 2011 Limited, when using the Climate on Auto, I set it to 71F, and sometimes when I start the car, it start blowing immediately, and it blows cold air, shouldn't wait till the car get the heater at the right temperature to start blowing? All is in auto,even the fans, so I'm not actually controlling anything. Also I noticed that sometimes the AC light is ON, sometimes the AC is off, again all being in Auto. Is the system intelligent enough to turn on and off that automatically? Or not make the AC part to work if not needed even if is ON? I presume that the car will use more gas is the AC compressor is working than is not, and also makes no sense to have the AC compressor working if the can need to raise the temperature instead of lower it.

Thanks

Hi Victor. :D I will try to answer your questions best i can, in some sort of understandable order (I hope). :hysterical:

Yes, the EATC system can/will turn on the A/C compressor when needed to dehumidify the air. That goes for cooling and/or heating the air. In very cold weather, if the air was not dehumidified by the A/C compressor/system, the inside of the car windows would quickly fog up. To understand this concept, you need to realize that contrary to popular belief, the terms "Air Conditioning" or "A/C" do not only mean cooling the air. They simply mean exactly what the words state: "conditioning the air" by dehumidifying and then cooling or heating it. It will also direct the air as needed to different registers along with vary the temperature and fan speed to keep the driver/passenger set temperature.

And yes, the EATC system will also sometimes blow immediately, even if the engine is not warmed up, if the system senses that the air circulation will be needed to keep the windshield from fogging up.

And yes, you are correct that use of the A/C compressor will use more fuel (apples to apples comparisons). However, that is the price we pay to have the system cool/heat/dehumidify the air automatically. If you want to ensure your best fuel mileage, you will need to use control the HVAC system on full manual. But even then, if you need to use the front defroster setting, the A/C compressor may/will still be enabled if the HVAC system needs it to dehumidify the air to defog the windshield.

This information (and more) can also be found in the Owners Manual. Consult the Owners Manual section explaining the use and operation of the various HVAC systems available in the Edge/MKX.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks, that makes sense, if it is needed to defog, I'll let it run, just wanted to be sure is the intended way and not another of the many bugs I'm experiencing.

Now, what it does not makes much sense is that if is for defogging that it blows only on my legs and not on the windshield....

Not defogging - dehumidifying. It takes moisture out of the air to prevent the windows from fogging up and it doesn't matter where it blows.

Not defogging - dehumidifying. It takes moisture out of the air to prevent the windows from fogging up and it doesn't matter where it blows.

Oh.. I see, pretty intelligent then :-) I tied today, and I set the temperature to 60, to see f was going to turn on the AC, but it didn't I guess because the outside air was cold enough to not need to use the compressor.

Oh.. I see, pretty intelligent then :-) I tied today, and I set the temperature to 60, to see f was going to turn on the AC, but it didn't I guess because the outside air was cold enough to not need to use the compressor.

Sometimes it turns on the compressor but doesn't turn on the light to tell you it's on. Not sure about the Edge specifically though.

This is no different than your home A/C. You know the little pump that sits by your A/C and sends the condensation water outside or down the drain? That's because when it cools the incoming air it removes humidity. A dehumidifier works the same way,