PTU (Power Take Off Unit)

KBrownEdge

Took my 2008 Ford Edge to the dealer and was told that I needed a new PTU. The cost is $1,700 since the car has over 60K miles. However, the car was bought used and the smell was present prior to the 60K miles but I didn't know to ask about smell until now. Any suggestions on how I can get the dealer to extend warranty? Already called customer service and they sent me back to dealer.

Took my 2008 Ford Edge to the dealer and was told that I needed a new PTU. The cost is $1,700 since the car has over 60K miles. However, the car was bought used and the smell was present prior to the 60K miles but I didn't know to ask about smell until now. Any suggestions on how I can get the dealer to extend warranty? Already called customer service and they sent me back to dealer.

Why would the dealer extend the warranty? You bought it used "as is" with no warranty. You assume all the risks when you do that.

You might be able to just get the seal replaced - might be cheaper.

Makes sense - I was just thinking they would extend since the car was bought with that problem. But I guess you are right, merchants don't stand by their products and always looking for an out. I personally would not sell anyone a defective product and not try to make it right when it was brought to my attention.

merchants don't stand by their products and always looking for an out. I personally would not sell anyone a defective product and not try to make it right when it was brought to my attention.

Used car dealers don't know everything that's wrong with the car or what is about to break when they sell it. That's why they sell warranties.

If you choose to buy it without a warranty AND you choose NOT to have it checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase then this one is squarely on YOUR shoulders, not the dealer.

If the dealer was willing to "stand behind it" then they would have offered a 30 day warranty. And you would have paid extra for that.

I don't see where the dealer did anything wrong here.

Used car dealers don't know everything that's wrong with the car or what is about to break when they sell it. That's why they sell warranties.

If you choose to buy it without a warranty AND you choose NOT to have it checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase then this one is squarely on YOUR shoulders, not the dealer.

If the dealer was willing to "stand behind it" then they would have offered a 30 day warranty. And you would have paid extra for that.

I don't see where the dealer did anything wrong here.

just get the seals changed no problem ....