2008 Ford Edge Check Engine Light

pacdave

We've got a 2008 Ford Edge SEL 3.5L FWD. 44,000 miles and in New Mexico at 6000' above sea level. Last night my wife came home saying the Edge started running rough and the check engine light came on. I checked the codes this morning and got P0303. I reset the light, reseated the gas cap and drove... no problems. We went out to dinner tonight and it started driving rough again and the check engine light came home. Couldn't get over 40mph... the car would start running real rough (shaking). Checked the codes when I got home and got P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire detected), P0203 (Injector Circuit/Open, Cylinder 3), P0316 (Misfire detected on start up (first 1000 revolutions)), P1000 (Cooling System Heat Valve Control Circuit). I ran Ford Key On Engine Off and Key On Engine Running test... now I just have P0303 and P0203. Any thoughts? The vehicle is still under warranty and I plan on taking it in Monday (its Saturday night now). Would like to know if there's anything I can do in the meantime or just would like to be smarter when I go into the dealership. Thank you!!

<more info> Got to thinking... I'll check the #3 plug wire in the morning. If no visible defects are noted, I'll try to swap it with another plug wire to see if the problem "moves" to another cylinder. Also, I'll pull the #3 plug to see what it looks like. And I'll look at the injector too (what I can without pulling it).

Edited by pacdave

We've got a 2008 Ford Edge SEL 3.5L FWD. 44,000 miles and in New Mexico at 6000' above sea level. Last night my wife came home saying the Edge started running rough and the check engine light came on. I checked the codes this morning and got P0303. I reset the light, reseated the gas cap and drove... no problems. We went out to dinner tonight and it started driving rough again and the check engine light came home. Couldn't get over 40mph... the car would start running real rough (shaking). Checked the codes when I got home and got P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire detected), P0203 (Injector Circuit/Open, Cylinder 3), P0316 (Misfire detected on start up (first 1000 revolutions)), P1000 (Cooling System Heat Valve Control Circuit). I ran Ford Key On Engine Off and Key On Engine Running test... now I just have P0303 and P0203. Any thoughts? The vehicle is still under warranty and I plan on taking it in Monday (its Saturday night now). Would like to know if there's anything I can do in the meantime or just would like to be smarter when I go into the dealership. Thank you!!

Probably the COP. Easy fix.

• 7 months later...

We'll it's 8 months later. Ford had replaced the #3 injector (to fix the above problem from Feb '11). Now (Oct '11) I'm getting P0205 - Cylinder 5 Injector Circuit Malfunction, P0305 Code - Cylinder #5 Misfire and P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 1). I guess its time for Ford to change the #5 injector (under warranty, of course). This is getting very annoying.