Taller vs Wider rubber on the 20"s

frybel

So there's been plenty of talk about stretching out the width of the tires to get more ground contact, but I'm actually more interested in upping the diameter a little bit.....going from the stock 245/50/20, to 245 (or 255)/60/20. I think the Edge would look a lot better if it sat about an inch taller. My concern is any drawbacks from going up in sidewall size. Obviously, more sidewall = smoother ride, but I'm more worried about changing the handling characteristics at high speeds, aerodynamics, etc. An inch in sidewall isn't a huge change, but it throws the speedo off by about 4 mph and most likely dip the mpgs some too.

Anybody gone with taller tires yet, or know of any adverse effects? Thanks.

So there's been plenty of talk about stretching out the width of the tires to get more ground contact, but I'm actually more interested in upping the diameter a little bit.....going from the stock 245/50/20, to 245 (or 255)/60/20. I think the Edge would look a lot better if it sat about an inch taller. My concern is any drawbacks from going up in sidewall size. Obviously, more sidewall = smoother ride, but I'm more worried about changing the handling characteristics at high speeds, aerodynamics, etc. An inch in sidewall isn't a huge change, but it throws the speedo off by about 4 mph and most likely dip the mpgs some too.

Anybody gone with taller tires yet, or know of any adverse effects? Thanks.

Hi frybel. :D Those are not common tire sizes. Therefore, besides the ride, handling, fitment and other pros-and-cons, your bigger issue will be trying to find suitable tires in those sizes. For example, go to The Tire Rack website and do a search for those sizes LINK: The Tire Rack and you will only come up with 3 choices in a 245/60-20 (one being an Ice and Snow tire) and none in a 255/60-20.

While there may be other choices in manufacturers, The Tire Rack does have one of the most varied choices in manufacturers, so finding a tire that you like in that size may be difficult.

Good luck. :beerchug:

• 3 weeks later...

You are better off doing research in finding a nicer riding tire in the OEM size than you are gaining an inch in sidewall. Your car will ride a little better but you are also going to lose a bit of handling and the tires will roll more around a corner which is never a good thing especially at those sizes. If you really want a better ride then I suggest you go to the factory 18" wheels and those reccomended tire sizes.