Where does IA key go?

The manual talks about a physical place you insert the IA key if the battery in it dies but it does not picture the spot and nor can I find it. Where is it located? Do you remove the physical key and insert it alone?

If its a 2011 Edge, its in the center console. Below the USB ports there is a place to insert the entire remote key fob.

If its a 2011 Edge, its in the center console. Below the USB ports there is a place to insert the entire remote key fob.

I should have specified; I have an 11 MKX. I don't see any slot below the USB. I know it's in a different place than the Edge.

Did you look in the center console?

Yes, I did. Both...where the USB connections are as well as the centre storage console. The storage one has a 12 V plug right there with a little trap door and the one under the A/C buttons only has the USB and SD card slots. It's probably biting me in the nose and I can't see it.

Nibble, nibble..............

(hint - you don't use the metal door key - you just put the entire fob into the slot)

Yea, I will admit this one had me stumped for several days. And the manual is really vague and at no place in it does it actually show a picture of this slot. I was also looking for a place for the metal key to insert.

How it works is this. The metal key that pops out will go in the door key slot to get you in the car (remote keypad would do that as well if you didn't want to pop out the metal key). Once you are in the car take your giant fob thing, open the center console, and below the 12 volt outlet door thing there are 2 slide bracket plastic rail things. Those are designed so that you can insert the entire fob into that slot. When you do it right the rest of the keys on your fob will basically be dangling from underneath the little ledge, you don't have to take the fob off of a keychain to get this to work.

Hopefully version 4 of the owner's manual will point this out better. I consider myself smarter than the average bear and I couldn't figure this out for a while. Other keyless systems I've seen tend to use the metal key as an alternate start mechanism. The bad thing is folks won't figure this out until they need it, and then they will be stuck. :angry:

Yea, I will admit this one had me stumped for several days. And the manual is really vague and at no place in it does it actually show a picture of this slot. I was also looking for a place for the metal key to insert.

How it works is this. The metal key that pops out will go in the door key slot to get you in the car (remote keypad would do that as well if you didn't want to pop out the metal key). Once you are in the car take your giant fob thing, open the center console, and below the 12 volt outlet door thing there are 2 slide bracket plastic rail things. Those are designed so that you can insert the entire fob into that slot. When you do it right the rest of the keys on your fob will basically be dangling from underneath the little ledge, you don't have to take the fob off of a keychain to get this to work.

Hopefully version 4 of the owner's manual will point this out better. I consider myself smarter than the average bear and I couldn't figure this out for a while. Other keyless systems I've seen tend to use the metal key as an alternate start mechanism. The bad thing is folks won't figure this out until they need it, and then they will be stuck. :angry:

Thank you. I, too, am usually pretty good at figuring things out but I did not see that sliding bracket. I always like to make sure I know how to use something before I have to.