Step Bars for EDGE Sport

I have searched this forum, but have come up empty handed...

I have the 2011 EDGE Sport, and I have been curious if the little ledge that runs under the doors can be used as a step bar. My kids use it to get up in their seats, but I am not sure if that is their purpose or not. Does anyone know? And if so, any idea what the weight limit would be on them?

Thanks in advance!!

I have searched this forum, but have come up empty handed...

I have the 2011 EDGE Sport, and I have been curious if the little ledge that runs under the doors can be used as a step bar. My kids use it to get up in their seats, but I am not sure if that is their purpose or not. Does anyone know? And if so, any idea what the weight limit would be on them?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Twistid - I've got an 11' Sport and to my knowledge the answer would be NO!! don't step on that!!

If your kids are little i.e. 25-50lbs it likely wouldn't cause any issues, but I certainly wouldn't step on mine. They seem quite firm, but still flex easily so I don't believe there is any real support under them.

This is certainly just my opinion and not based on any fact, so if someone else knows for sure, please post! I'd like to know myself. The panel itself looks great, but I hate that it collects dirt and muddy crap!!

Hi Twistid - I've got an 11' Sport and to my knowledge the answer would be NO!! don't step on that!!

If your kids are little i.e. 25-50lbs it likely wouldn't cause any issues, but I certainly wouldn't step on mine. They seem quite firm, but still flex easily so I don't believe there is any real support under them.

This is certainly just my opinion and not based on any fact, so if someone else knows for sure, please post! I'd like to know myself. The panel itself looks great, but I hate that it collects dirt and muddy crap!!

These are not intended to be steps in my opinion and that's unfortunate due to the ride height with the 22's. The do give a bit with adult weight and i can almost gurantee that repeated use as a step is going to cause problems down the line. Fortuntately, my wife and I have long legs but it is a little awkward having to clear the body moulding with your legs, and occasional contact / stepping is inevitable from adults, and unavoidable with kiddos.

Also frustrating that this moulding accumulates dirt and grim so easily. Argggh. Don't forget to wash there too! I am going to apply the 3M clear film (paint protection) to protect the area from incidental scuffs, and occasional use from passengers that don't know better. This may be something to consider if you our anal retentive like me. Another thought was to put a "not a step" warning sticker on it but this would look like crap. Probably won't do this but I cringe at the thought of my wife or one her friends hitting it wearing high heels or using as a step.

Not the best design from Ford but the overall style sure looks good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

UGH! That looks terrible!

Different strokes for different folks. That's why they invented the color purple!

Personally I like it. However, I had one of these so-called "steps" which any trucker/SUV owner would tell you are actually called NERF BARS. About the only time I used them was when washing the top of the vehicle.