2011 Ford Edge Limited

drkay

My wife and I each leased a 2011 Ford Edge Limited, 302 package, trailer tow, 20" wheels, Pirelli tires, earth metallic (mine) and bordeaux (wife's). black interiors. Now we have two Focuses (kids vehicles) and two Edges. I have driven VW Touaregs for the past six years so my standards are pretty high. Prior to leasing the Edge I test drove many SUV's and cross-overs including Jeep Grand C was too boat like. GM, I didn't like the interiors. MKX, I could deal with the IP which was a rectangle with no thought to the interior design and handling was only marginal. BMW X-3 great handling SUV but I did not want to pay $20K more than the Edge for less options. Audi Q5 was the best in handling and very fun to drive. $10K more than Edge + very high maintenance over 36 months, about $1500+, and Ford Edge.

Impressions over the first 24 hours:

1) Handles well. Will need to test on I696 tunnel (before Woodward) curves at 90mph to determine.

2) Very nice, clean, interior, good craftmanship, good choice of materials, very good fit and finish, very good design. Seats are very comfortable. Good visibility with respect to blind spots.

3) Accelerates well, the additional 5 hp over VW six is obvious. Trans is smooth. Haven't tried the manual trans setting yet.

4) All electrical toys function well. We studied MyFordTouch and SYNC for a few weeks prior to delivery so we're familiar with the system. I must say, no complaints and it works very well. I had no issue syncing to my Droid. My wife had a syncing issue with her Samsung cell, but it finally connected with SYNC bluetooth.

5) Ford does a great job with rear avoidance systems, but where are the front distance avoidance sensors? This would be a great feature when entering the garage and needing to know how far to pull-up without hitting by bike.

6) The emergency flasher control should be located above the SYNC display not below. This is too easy to activate while using the SYNC system, already happened 4 times in park position!.

7) I would prefer the hatch lid close button located on the hatch, not on the interior of the vehicle.

8) SYNC works very well and recognized my voice without issue.

9) SYNC could use a much faster processor. I noticed a good amount of delay between commands. Maybe this will improve over time.

10) All and all a great vehicle. Ford engineering and design did a very nice job on this vehicle. Suspension is a great improvement over my wife's last 2008 Edge and now comparable with the new 2011 VW Touareg.

More to follow as I gain more miles.

Dr. Kay

. .

Edited by drkay

I have a similar model LTD AWD with the 20" Wheels in Bordeaux red with stone - Came out of a 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland - This is mostly my wife's ride and she loves it - does not miss the Jeep at all. We just went on a 150 mile trip and found it very quite and comfortable and averaged 22-23 MPG and it's not even broken in yet. Like you I find the seats very comfortable. Looking forward to going on trips visiting colleges with our daughter (at least the ride and not the tuition) this summer.

My wife and I each leased a 2011 Ford Edge Limited, 302 package, trailer tow, 20" wheels, Pirelli tires, earth brown (mine). black interior. Now we have two Focuses (kids vehicles) and two Edges. I have driven VW Touaregs for the past six years so my standards are pretty high. Prior to leasing the Edge I test drove many SUV's and cross-overs including Jeep Grand C was too boat like. GM, I didn't like the interiors. MKX, I could deal with the IP which was a rectangle with no thought to the interior design and handling was only marginal. BMW X-3 great handling SUV but I did not want to pay $20K more than the Edge for less options. Audi Q5 was the best in handling and very fun to drive. $10K more than Edge + very high maintenance over 36 months, about $1500+, and Ford Edge.

Impressions over the first 24 hours:

1) Handles well. Will need to test on I696 tunnel (before Woodward) curves at 90mph to determine.

2) Very nice, clean, interior, good craftmanship, good choice of materials, very good fit and finish, very good design. Seats are very comfortable. Good visibility with respect to blind spots.

3) Accelerates well, the additional 5 hp over VW six is obvious. Trans is smooth. Haven't tried the manual trans setting yet.

4) All electrical toys function well. We studied MyFordTouch and SYNC for a few weeks prior to delivery so we're familiar with the system. I must say, no complaints and it works very well. I had no issue syncing to my Droid. My wife had a syncing issue with her Samsung cell, but it finally connected with SYNC bluetooth.

5) Ford does a great job with rear avoidance systems, but where are the front distance avoidance sensors? This would be a great feature when entering the garage and needing to know how far to pull-up without hitting by bike.

6) The emergency flasher control should be located above the SYNC display not below. This is too easy to activate while using the SYNC system, already happened 4 times in park position!.

7) I would prefer the hatch lid close button located on the hatch, not on the interior of the vehicle.

8) SYNC works very well and recognized my voice without issue.

9) SYNC could use a much faster processor. I noticed a good amount of delay between commands. Maybe this will improve over time.

10) All and all a great vehicle. Ford engineering and design did a very nice job on this vehicle. Suspension is a great improvement over my wife's last 2008 Edge and now comparable with the new 2011 VW Touareg.

More to follow as I gain more miles.

Dr. Kay

. .

Double Edge & Double Focus... gotta be a cool pun in there somewhere.

You have the first Droid or an X? X is the only phone I know of that does the SYNC texting right now.

1-4) agreed

5) I asked myself that too. I guess the old tennis ball on a string will have to do for now. Until I hack some front sensors in from a JY car's rear sensors.

6) +1000 on this, I hit it everytime I try to mess with Navigation. I'm going to fashion some type of cool looking (hopefully) cover for it.

7) Guy at the car wash could not find it for the life of him, so he manually closed mine. He must have wanted the button on the hatch too :lol:

8) agree mostly in my case

9) agreed. Just learned that the IIHS is giving Edges built Feb 2011 and after a Top Safety Pick after they revised the roof structure for more strength. Love this thing more everyday.

You have the first Droid or an X? X is the only phone I know of that does the SYNC texting right now.

1-4) agreed

5) I asked myself that too. I guess the old tennis ball on a string will have to do for now. Until I hack some front sensors in from a JY car's rear sensors.

6) +1000 on this, I hit it everytime I try to mess with Navigation. I'm going to fashion some type of cool looking (hopefully) cover for it.

7) Guy at the car wash could not find it for the life of him, so he manually closed mine. He must have wanted the button on the hatch too :lol:

9) agreed. Just learned that the IIHS is giving Edges built Feb 2011 and after a Top Safety Pick after they revised the roof structure for more strength. Love this thing more everyday.

Regarding #9 - Actually the switch to Job #2 was early February.

Edited by blankster

1-4) agreed

-------------------------------

Cal3;

I have a Droid-X - I read about the IHS ratings, good to hear Ford fixed the roof structure. Thanks for the update.

DK