AWD in Snow/Slush?

MHOsborn

Just curious what others in here think....

Our dealer told us when we bought our AWD Edge that it's best not to use the AWD in snow/slush. As a relative newbee on all things AWD, I've no idea if this is true or not. I had always assumed that AWD was desirable in those conditions, and that it improves traction where a FWD might fail.

Does anyone in here have experience in these conditions with an AWD model?

Our dealer told us when we bought our AWD Edge that it's best not to use the AWD in snow/slush. As a relative newbee on all things AWD, I've no idea if this is true or not. I had always assumed that AWD was desirable in those conditions, and that it improves traction where a FWD might fail.

100% false. Read the owner's manual.

2 things:

First, you are absolutely correct in your assumption, the dealer has his head up his butt. The AWD is designed for slippery conditions for pete's sake! :redcard:

Second, ask that dealer, how exactly you're not supposed to use something that is automatically engaged when needed! :banghead:

What is the difference between Full time Four Wheel Drive (4WD) All Wheel Drive (AWD) and automatic All Wheel Drive (auto AWD)?

How Four-Wheel Drive Works

Driving Tips for Snowy and Icy Roads

Just be sure to have the right tires for the conditions! Tires mean EVERYTHING! If you start to slide point the front tires in the direction you want to go and give it a lil gas. Always use lite breaking or pump the brake lightly. If you start to slide while breaking, let of break until your tires hook up again. GL!

Edited by rehtaf

What is the difference between Full time Four Wheel Drive (4WD) All Wheel Drive (AWD) and automatic All Wheel Drive (auto AWD)?

How Four-Wheel Drive Works

Driving Tips for Snowy and Icy Roads

Just be sure to have the right tires for the conditions! Tires mean EVERYTHING! If you start to slide point the front tires in the direction you want to go and give it a lil gas. Always use lite breaking or pump the brake lightly. If you start to slide while breaking, let of break until your tires hook up again. GL!

Thanks for the links on the differences between AWD and 4WD...very enlightening!

Regarding the brake advice, though....pumping the brakes is something you DON'T want to do with an ABS-equipped car (like the Edge is). The ABS system does this for you (albeit a whole lot faster than you or I could do it).

I agree that, when sliding, you should let up off the gas...but (and I could be wrong here) I think I've read that tapping the brakes even lightly can cause the slide to worsen.

Thats what they tell you about ABS. Try steering on a sheet of ice while using constant breaking pressure and you will end up in a ditch. Till some redneck like me comes along to pull you out. :yup: Pump them...not fast...and steer in between pumps to keep you headed in the right direction. The only time ABS kinda works on slick roads is if you are stopping while driving in a straight line. If you have to stop quick going around a turn and use constant pressure either you will not be able to stop quick enough or if too much pressure your rear end may start to come around. It depends how slick the roads are. Don't be afraid to use the shoulder or median to avoid an accident. Done it a few times myself. Just don't hit something worse like a telephone poll, tree, etc. I was driving a 90 300zx, which had 4 wheel ABS, on 85 one night while it was snowing lightly. Could still see the lines on the road so I didn't worry. I tried lite break pressure to check how slick it was and all of a sudden the car turned 90 degrees and I was sliding down the interstate sideways at 60 mph. Took three lanes, about a half mile of road and lil bit of grass median to get her strait again. Think my rear bumper was leading the way a couple times. Luckily... there were no cars around me. Regained control using the gas pedal only. I didn't go over 35 mph the rest of the trip. lol That happed because I was driving too fast, had tires with nonexistent snow traction and used constant break pressure for too long. Didn't own that car long after that. Traded it for a 94 blazer which I rolled on an icy country road about a year later. Learning can be painfull sometimes. Just remember to slow down, have extra stopping room in front and behind you and have good tires for the conditions.

Thats what they tell you about ABS. Try steering on a sheet of ice while using constant breaking pressure and you will end up in a ditch. Till some redneck like me comes along to pull you out. :yup: Pump them...not fast...and steer in between pumps to keep you headed in the right direction. The only time ABS kinda works on slick roads is if you are stopping while driving in a straight line. If you have to stop quick going around a turn and use constant pressure either you will not be able to stop quick enough or if too much pressure your rear end may start to come around. It depends how slick the roads are. Don't be afraid to use the shoulder or median to avoid an accident. Done it a few times myself. Just don't hit something worse like a telephone poll, tree, etc. I was driving a 90 300zx, which had 4 wheel ABS, on 85 one night while it was snowing lightly. Could still see the lines on the road so I didn't worry. I tried lite break pressure to check how slick it was and all of a sudden the car turned 90 degrees and I was sliding down the interstate sideways at 60 mph. Took three lanes, about a half mile of road and lil bit of grass median to get her strait again. Think my rear bumper was leading the way a couple times. Luckily... there were no cars around me. Regained control using the gas pedal only. I didn't go over 35 mph the rest of the trip. lol That happed because I was driving too fast, had tires with nonexistent snow traction and used constant break pressure for too long. Didn't own that car long after that. Traded it for a 94 blazer which I rolled on an icy country road about a year later. Learning can be painfull sometimes. Just remember to slow down, have extra stopping room in front and behind you and have good tires for the conditions.

That's all good advice in a vehicle without stability control, however, if you're going around a corner and begin to lose control the stability control is going to kick in and work its voodoo. I'm not saying its gonna save your ass, but its certainly going to add another variable to the equation, such as reducing engine power when you don't expect. What I'm saying I guess is that it imposes a whole new set of rules for slippery surfaces that you will have to learn to deal with. Or maybe it will save your ass and you can sit back and relax!

Of course my thoughts are completely hypothetical since I haven't gotten the stability control to activate in my Edge yet! :shades:

I've talked with a few guys up in Snow Country, with AWD Fusions. They all say that the AWD is GREAT in ice and snow (and slush).

As for me, I try not to go to my Penfield address in the winter, however I have driven my AWD in bad rainstorms while here in my Mount Dora address, and it handles like a dream in those bad conditions.

Done a little more reading on this and it seems than AWD vehicle's will drive just like a FWD vehicle 99% of the time. Only once the front tires loses traction will power be transfered to the rear tires. Though I'm not sure if this is true for every AWD design.

What I'm saying I guess is that it imposes a whole new set of rules for slippery surfaces that you will have to learn to deal with.

A car is only as good as its driver. Just use your heads for something more than hat racks. A wise man once said..."Don't fear the man who thinks like a computer... fear the computer who thinks like a man."

Speaking of stability/traction control... both of my 07's are AWD and have a button to disable traction control. Why??? In what situation would it be desirable to turn traction control off?

Edited by rehtaf

• 2 weeks later...
Done a little more reading on this and it seems than AWD vehicle's will drive just like a FWD vehicle 99% of the time. Only once the front tires loses traction will power be transfered to the rear tires. Though I'm not sure if this is true for every AWD design.

A car is only as good as its driver. Just use your heads for something more than hat racks. A wise man once said..."Don't fear the man who thinks like a computer... fear the computer who thinks like a man."

Speaking of stability/traction control... both of my 07's are AWD and have a button to disable traction control. Why??? In what situation would it be desirable to turn traction control off?

I was pondering the same thing myself recently.

I came up with the fact that when we have our vehicles inspected by the state (NY) each year, the vehicle gets strapped onto dyno rollers so that the drive tires can run the machine for emissions. Even though the rear tires should not engage unless the front slips, for safety's sake the AWD should be disengaged.

Any other ideas why you would disengage the AWD?

• 4 weeks later...

Apple's and orange's...

To my limited knowledge, AWD can't be disabled on any AWD vehicle. This would require a selectable T-case which the Edge doesn't have. I'm referring to the "AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability control" (Fords slang for traction control). Using a rotating gyroscope thingamabob that monitors both roll and yaw it can apply brakes to any wheel, engage the engine brake, downshift the tranny, etc. Designed to keep the vehicle on all four's, limit skidding and the such.

Here is a pic of the Edge drivetrain. The T-case is puny compared to a true 4WD T-case.

edge_overview_10-11.jpg

I ran a couple high speed corners under full throttle in my GMC the other day just to see the response. The front tire on the outside of the turn chirped and hopped with the TC on and off. Though there was more spin with TC off I still had to look at the dash to verify which state it was in. From a standing start the spinning is more noticeable but still spins either way. Anyone seen this with an Edge? Makes me wonder how much latency is involved. Ford claims less lag on the Edge compared to others.

Can't imagine anyone drifting in an Edge or any AWD vehicle so thats not it. Other than racing, burnouts at the local Wal-Mart parking lot or donuts in a field(don't deny it!) I'm at a loss for the usefulness of this feature.

So once again...why have the option to disable/enable the traction control? Anyone notice it working as claimed?

Optional rant...

After driving 400 miles today I'm positive that no matter how smart/dumb the car may be, the moron holding the steering wheel is still in charge and the source of the problem. Slower traffic keep right. Trucks use right lane. If you have a flat...STOP! Get off the phone and in your lane! The grass median is not a parking lot! One car length for every 10 MPH! Two cars cut in half and glued together with liquid nails is not safe!(No joke, seen that on Pimp My Ride) Geez!! IMHO, DMV test are a huge joke (like saying the IRS is organized and proficient) and we should spend more time educating the drivers. A LOT MORE TIME! Make it a college course with physics and Richard Petty driving school a requirement.

• 3 weeks later...