New Owner Questions

hankt10k

Hello. Bought an AWD Edge Limited one week ago. Still learning many things and have a few newbie questions:

When connecting a cell phone to one of the USB ports, where do you store the phone (an iPhone 4 in my case)? It doesn't seem to quite fit in the center console upper tray and, while fishing the cable through the opening works fine, it appears then that the only storage option is one of the cup holders. Anyone have other ideas?

In my Toyota RAV4, which has an aftermarket iPhone interface, you can set the unit to allow the iPhone/iPod to be controlled by the controls on the device itself. This is occasionally handy when one of my family is in the back seat with their device connected and wants to control the device. Is it possible to set the Ford Edge interface to allow this?

There are two USB ports in the center console (btw, anyone use both simultaneously…I’m trying to figure out when I would) and when I connect to one of them, sometimes there is a significant delay in detecting my iPhone. Sometime just have to unplug and plug back in. Haven’t kept records of my experience but it seems much more likely with one of the USB ports than the other. Is this delay in detecting the iPhone anything to be concerned about or is that just the way it works?

The sequence of events in connecting/disconnecting my iPhone seems to be important to how well things work but I haven’t yet got the pattern down. Some odd things that have happened including no sound through the car speakers even though an audiobook is playing and the time is advancing, no sound from the iPhone speakers after disconnecting, no remembering where it was in the audiobook so it goes to the beginning of the book or to the beginning of another book entirely. All of these are easily remedied but wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues and developed a “system” to avoid them.

Thanks!

Hank T

Hello. Bought an AWD Edge Limited one week ago. Still learning many things and have a few newbie questions:

When connecting a cell phone to one of the USB ports, where do you store the phone (an iPhone 4 in my case)? It doesn't seem to quite fit in the center console upper tray and, while fishing the cable through the opening works fine, it appears then that the only storage option is one of the cup holders. Anyone have other ideas?

In my Toyota RAV4, which has an aftermarket iPhone interface, you can set the unit to allow the iPhone/iPod to be controlled by the controls on the device itself. This is occasionally handy when one of my family is in the back seat with their device connected and wants to control the device. Is it possible to set the Ford Edge interface to allow this?

There are two USB ports in the center console (btw, anyone use both simultaneously…I’m trying to figure out when I would) and when I connect to one of them, sometimes there is a significant delay in detecting my iPhone. Sometime just have to unplug and plug back in. Haven’t kept records of my experience but it seems much more likely with one of the USB ports than the other. Is this delay in detecting the iPhone anything to be concerned about or is that just the way it works?

The sequence of events in connecting/disconnecting my iPhone seems to be important to how well things work but I haven’t yet got the pattern down. Some odd things that have happened including no sound through the car speakers even though an audiobook is playing and the time is advancing, no sound from the iPhone speakers after disconnecting, no remembering where it was in the audiobook so it goes to the beginning of the book or to the beginning of another book entirely. All of these are easily remedied but wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues and developed a “system” to avoid them.

Thanks!

Hank T

On your question about using two USB ports. I keep an old iPod plugged into one port and stash it in the bottom of the console. I never touch it until I want to update the library.

I have a holder for my iPhone mounted to the edge of the console. The second USB port is plugged into the holder. Sometimes I slide my phone into the cradle like when I'm on a road trip but most of the time I use Bluetooth audio

Here is a link to the proclip mount

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-vehicle-mount/ford-edge-2011-2012/proclip-console-mount-834541-16429.aspx

Edited by wilsons66604

• 2 weeks later...

In regard to the qoute below, I have had the same issues with sound not coming out of the car speakers. I do get the "beeps" when I use the touch screen, but I don't get any audio from the sirius, radio, flashdrive, or phone. I don't have an iphone, I have an HTC, and the problems occur whether my phone is paired or not. I do use a flash drive with my music on it rather than an iPod, but I have the problems whether the flashdrive is plugged in or not. I have had the car back to the dealership three times and each time they think they can fix it, but what ever they have tried does not work. What have you done to remedy the issues you have had? I wonder if it would work on mine also?

"Some odd things that have happened including no sound through the car speakers even though an audiobook is playing and the time is advancing, no sound from the iPhone speakers after disconnecting, no remembering where it was in the audiobook so it goes to the beginning of the book or to the beginning of another book entirely. All of these are easily remedied but wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues and developed a “system” to avoid them. "

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new Edge owner and new to the forum. You brought up one of the items I also noticed when driving my new toy off the lot...where to place the EVO. For the first couple days, I just put it in the console, but I am still looking for a mount of some kind. I found a few online and am still kicking around which to purchase. In the meanwhile, I found one of those "tacky" pads at Best Buy for $5.00. It works much better than I expected. I just pop the phone on the mat which is in the center of the dash. I really am surprised that the phone stays put. Of course if I had to stomp on the brakes the phone would probably shoot right through the windscreen. This is only temporary, but works surprisingly well until I decide on the permanent mount.

Eric