Soon To Be Edge Owner

jstoffel67

As soon as they allow, I will be putting an order in on a 2012 Edge Limited. I have test driven the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and looked MDX, Volkswagon, etc.......I have been pretty much a Japanese import owner since I got my license many moons ago but fell in love with all the techno things Ford has put in the Edge (I like gadgets!) All the features, styling and MPG are very comparable to the higher end vehicles I test drove but at a much lower cost.

I am curious about the WiFi hotspot feature. I haven't been able to find much info yet, but want to know if that is a feature that requires and contract with a 3G/4G carrier like Verizon or is it something offered through Ford? I currently have an iPod Touch with WiFI capability and thought having the WiFi hotspot in the Ford would be a good way to have internet capability while on road trips. If anyone has had any experience with this I would love to know any pros/cons.

Thanks!

As soon as they allow, I will be putting an order in on a 2012 Edge Limited. I have test driven the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and looked MDX, Volkswagon, etc.......I have been pretty much a Japanese import owner since I got my license many moons ago but fell in love with all the techno things Ford has put in the Edge (I like gadgets!) All the features, styling and MPG are very comparable to the higher end vehicles I test drove but at a much lower cost.

I am curious about the WiFi hotspot feature. I haven't been able to find much info yet, but want to know if that is a feature that requires and contract with a 3G/4G carrier like Verizon or is it something offered through Ford? I currently have an iPod Touch with WiFI capability and thought having the WiFi hotspot in the Ford would be a good way to have internet capability while on road trips. If anyone has had any experience with this I would love to know any pros/cons.

Thanks!

It does not require a contract.

You can (supposedly) use usb 3G/4G modems. I've heard the only ones usable are on the Sprint network. Clearwire 4G might since it's WiMax too.

Right now, the kinks and support are still rolling out. Don't expect everything to work right away perfectly. In fact, to make sure you can deal with what currently works, make sure the dealer has the navigation all set up before you test drive. Call them and tell them you intend to test it out completely.