Creeping in 1st gear

pbmitch

I've noticed occasionally while creeping in 1st gear, under 5 mph, in parking lots or stop-n-go traffic, that the tranny jerks the vehicle a bit with slight acceleration. Once 2nd gear engages, things smooth out. I had a master mechanic at my dealer ride with me today to check it out. He felt the slight jerking and assured me this is normal. Anyone else experience this occasionally in 1st gear?

• 3 weeks later...

After having the dealer's master mechanic personally handling my concern over the rough engaging/jerking of the tranny in 1st gear, I've been assured that there is nothing wrong with the tranny, that is, no error codes(EEC) are coming up. He even did a tranny pressure test driving the Edge for two miles in 1st gear to see if an error code came up, as recommended by Ford's tech support. No codes came up. He also checked that the build date of the tranny was after the 1-10-07 date, so Ford's TSB 7-5-2 relating to harsh engagement was not the answer.

The master mechanic believes that what's occuring is that the new six speed trannys try to get the car in higher gears as quickly as possible to be more fuel efficient, and when creeping the vehicle may already be in second or third so I don't always feel the jerk associated with the very low 1st gear. But, sometimes the tranny may slip into 1st when under 5 mph and that's when the jerk is felt; specially in stop-n-go traffic or parking lots.

Sounds very possible to me. Anyone have similar feedback from their dealer's mechanic on this issue?