Shopping for 2011 Edge

As disappointed as I am with what I read on the forum about the 2011 Edge, I have decided to consider purchasing one. I am curious about some things that I have found.

Why is the liftgate now available only as part of a package that is only available on the Limited?

Why is the front crash rating lower now?

If there are issues with MFT will they be able to be fixed with the software updates/upgrades I have been reading about?

Is the new Explorer experiencing any of the same issues the Edge has with MFT, etc?

Thanks. :)

Why is the liftgate now available only as part of a package that is only available on the Limited?

More revenue. :) Looks like they bundled it with the driver's entry package.

I believe the crash tests were reconfigured to be more stringent so it doesn't necessarily mean the new ones are worse than the older ones but I'm not 100% sure. In any event it isn't something I would worry about.

If there are issues with MFT will they be able to be fixed with the software updates/upgrades I have been reading about?

Rumor has it the new release just now being announced will finally stabilize MFT but it's too early to tell for sure.

Is the new Explorer experiencing any of the same issues the Edge has with MFT, etc?

Yes, unfortunately. Also the Focus but not as bad since it debuted later with updated software.

I have a new 2011 edge SEL loaded with 2000 miles on it now. LOVE it. I am not experiencing any problems at all with it. Driving is a pleasure, wind noise is very low, you do not even hear the outside when on the highway. There have been a few minor glitches with the touch system but they have allways corrected themselves. have never had to pull that #29 fuse yet!

Mark T

Chicago

As disappointed as I am with what I read on the forum about the 2011 Edge, I have decided to consider purchasing one. I am curious about some things that I have found.

Thanks. :)

MyFordTouch issues are across the board.

As far as the frontal crash rating, all Edge built MAR2011 and after, got a GOOD rating in all categories from IIHS after improvement of the roof strength.

Here's a link I just found:

http://www.iihs.org/...ies.aspx?id=599

EDIT:

And as far as NHTSA goes, here's an excerpt from their site:

Explanation of 1990–2010 tests compared to 2011-Newer tests

Starting with 2011 models, NHTSA has introduced tougher tests and rigorous new 5-Star Safety Ratings that provide more information about vehicle safety and crash avoidance technologies. Because of the more stringent tests, ratings for 2011 and newer vehicles should not be compared to ratings for 1990-2010 models. Overall vehicle score and frontal crash ratings should ONLY be compared to other vehicles of similar size and weight.

Edited by cal3thousand