Vista roof rubber seal

Hi all,

I took delivery of my 2011 Edge Limited AWD last Tuesday. I like it pretty well so far... it rides great and seems to have plenty of power. A little more interior noise (snaps and cracks) than the 2010 GMC Terrain I traded in but hopefully things will 'settle' over time. I've searched this forum and even Google and did not find even a single reference of the defect I think my Edge has.

Along the rear of the movable portion of the vista roof there is a rubber seal that seems to channel water to either side of the roof. The glass sits down on this strip when closed. In my case the right rear-most corner of the glass doesn't make a good seal on its corresponding rubber. It's not a huge gap, only a couple of millimetres, but I am concerned about water leaking into the cabin.

It is raining pretty hard here today and I took a look at the drainage off the glass. The gap is so narrow that water was beading up and didn't seem to be flowing into the internal drainage channel. The rubber strip doesn't seem to be too hard anyway - if you press on it with your finger it depresses easily so I'm not sure how it would keep water out during a heavy downpour.

I can't really see what the root cause is... the glass doesn't appear to be skewed on the track (the mechanism works quickly and fluidly) and there appear to be uniform gaps around the glass. I haven't measured the actual panel to see whether it's perfectly square or not but I will.

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their Edge? Is there any kind of adjustment I can do to the system to have the glass not 'squish' so far forward on the front seal? I am going to try the re-initialization procedure to see if that does anything. Does anyone have any diagrams of the drainage system?

Many thanks

Update.... thanks to a torrential downpour I was able to see how the drainage system works. It was thundering and even with rain gear on I'm soaked! The things we'll do for our vehicles...

Anyway, I think the system is designed to channel as much drainage to the roof's surface as possible. I didn't realize (haven't had that much time to really poke around) that there is a split rubber gasket along the fixed portion of the glass where I presume the glass supports slide back and forth. It seems that water does in fact flow into the slit and must be channelled by the internal drainage system.

So is it safe to assume there is a pretty substantial drainage system in there.... as opposed to the one used in conjunction with a conventional sunroof?

How does one clean the internal system of normal debris that will inevitably collect over time?

Update.... thanks to a torrential downpour I was able to see how the drainage system works. It was thundering and even with rain gear on I'm soaked! The things we'll do for our vehicles...

Anyway, I think the system is designed to channel as much drainage to the roof's surface as possible. I didn't realize (haven't had that much time to really poke around) that there is a split rubber gasket along the fixed portion of the glass where I presume the glass supports slide back and forth. It seems that water does in fact flow into the slit and must be channelled by the internal drainage system.

So is it safe to assume there is a pretty substantial drainage system in there.... as opposed to the one used in conjunction with a conventional sunroof?

How does one clean the internal system of normal debris that will inevitably collect over time?

With any internal system, you might have to clear the hoses with compressed air or by removing them. But since the gaps are so small, things that normally clog a drainage system such as leaves would be kept to a minimum.

With any internal system, you might have to clear the hoses with compressed air or by removing them. But since the gaps are so small, things that normally clog a drainage system such as leaves would be kept to a minimum.

Thanks! It's good advice that applies to most sunroofs. Hopefully the drain tubes are readily accessible.

Am I to assume the movable and static panels have pretty good seals themselves - to keep water out of the cabin?

Let's hope so :lol:

hmmm now that's confidence inspiring!

My bank account can't withstand buying brand new cars every year so that I can get something I think will last.

All vista roof concerns aside I DO love the panoramic views... it's like a regular sunroof on steroids!