Is the wrong filter installed in my 2007 edge?

I recently purchased a used 2007 Edge. It is about 6000 miles until the 60000 mile service. I decided to check the cabin air filter. The first thing I noticed was the filter was more of a screen than a filter and it had lots of space to move up and down within the slot. As you can see in the second image, there is nearly half an inch of space for it to move vertically. In the first image you can see how easily it slids right out. Is this the correct filter for this vehicle? I imagined it would be more of paper filter element than a screen.

In the third image you can see how dirty the filter/screen is. If this is the correct filter, is there anyway to clean this off or should it just be replaced? For the time being, I have removed the filter and will drive without one because it it appears that nearly 90% of it is clogged.

Please excuse the large image size.

post-18533-0-38914600-1315766835_thumb.jpg

post-18533-0-47929900-1315766943_thumb.jpg

post-18533-0-78144500-1315767099_thumb.jpg

Same one that came in mine. I swapped it out for a filter that actually does the job of 'filtering' rather than just catching giant particles.

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-800111P-Mazda-Replacement-Filter/dp/B002E5HMSC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

As for cleaning, the screen is a plastic screen-- so you can simply blow it out with compressed air and then rinse it in the sink and it will be as good as new.

Edited by hunter306

Thanks Hunter, I wonder if there is any benefit to cleaning the screen and placing it and the paper screen in the slot. I'll give it a try once the paper filter comes in.

Actually, both will fit (I tried it!)-- but it's much tighter. As the design will facilitate either item (Screen, or Element filter) you can safely just use the paper filter.

One of the big reasons I ended up pulling the plastic screen was the notriously weak edge fan. It seems with both in there, I had reduced the pressure of air coming out of the vents. Either way though, will work.

Experiment and see if you find both acceptable.