Road Trip ...

We recently went on a road trip across Washington state and drove 12 hours straight thru both east and back west with stops for gas and snacks. The new 3.5 l V-6 ran flawlessly through the Rockies and down the Washington Interstate.

We had 2200 miles on the clock, and total distance travelled was 1800 miles round trip.

The speed limit on I-90 is 70, so I averaged about 75 mph from the Snoqualmie Pass to Couer d'alene. The engine was still a bit tight, but we got 28 mpg.

The six speed automatic was almost seamless thru upshifting and downshifting. It took a bit of time to adjust to the fact that a larger heavier vehicle takes a little more effort in braking!

The new V-6 is a big improvement over the Escape we had in '05. The new engine and body styling sealed the deal for us. Merging into traffic is almost as fun as our Mustang!

It is advertised as a sporty crossover, but we find it a tad high centred and soft for highway cornering. The leather seats are flat and firm, but need to be more bucket shaped like the Mustang.

Other Edge owners have complained about the dashboard glare on the windshield. During our road trip, driving both east and west during daylight to night time hours, we did not experience anything to complain about. (Build date is 11/06)

The rear liftgate is a tad heavy to get started opening, and I see that Ford will offer an automatic assist for 2008. The only other wish is one piece chrome wheels with fatter tires.

We are very happy with our Edge, and enjoy it everyday. We always get asked 'what's the Edge like?'. I tell them it's a very cool ride, and they should test drive one next chance they get.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we took a short trip of 150 miles each way, at 58 to 68 mph driving speeds. With 1300 miles on the car, we averaged 26.2 both ways. Included going through small towns , mostly 2 lane and hilly driving.

Car should pick up a couple more miles per gallon once it gets more miles on it.

On the way home we got stuck behind a front end loader and a pick-up towing a trailer. When I finally was able to pass, it surprised both the wife and I with the acceleration. We had the car loaded down and it still moved out very well.

Marv

Marv, I don't own one yet but I've driven 4. One thing I love about them is their willingness to downshift to the lowest-practicable gear when the throttle is stomped. (It's sort of like my Porsche Cayenne Turbo that way.) 265 horsepower actually isn't much to pull around 4200 - 4500 pounds (plus people and cargo), so getting the revs up to around where the maximum horsepower is developed is necessary.

Your 26MPG with only 1300 miles on it is GOOD news.

That is a great road trip report! I have 1,000 miles on my 07 Ford Edge. My only worthy complaints are the cup holders and that retarded speed limiter. I put Speed rated tires and an after market suspension on my Ford Edge and I can't use the available horsepower until later when someone puts out a chip/programmer. That is rediculous. One other thing. The factory suspension is dangerous and mushy for any kind of agressive maneuvering whether for fun or emergencies. That can be easily remedied from your local accessorie/performance shop. Over all it is a great vehicle. I have a pioneer AVIC D3 nav unit installed in mine and it looks and performs better than the factory unit at 1/2 the cost!