Sync w/ and w/out Navigation

So if the 2008 Limited comes standard with Sync does that mean it will have a in-dash LCD screen even if you don't opt for the DVD Navigation? I think I recall watching the Sync Demo video on their website and it did show an LCD screen. One has to wonder if you do get the DVD Navigatoin, how busy will that screen get if it's controlling your iPOD, Phone (i.e. Caller ID), all the while trying to utilize a map on the navigation system.

Also, will LCD be a touch screen? What size screen will it be? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I have never had DVD Nav before and the Sync is new to all of us.

So if the 2008 Limited comes standard with Sync does that mean it will have a in-dash LCD screen even if you don't opt for the DVD Navigation? I think I recall watching the Sync Demo video on their website and it did show an LCD screen. One has to wonder if you do get the DVD Navigatoin, how busy will that screen get if it's controlling your iPOD, Phone (i.e. Caller ID), all the while trying to utilize a map on the navigation system.

Also, will LCD be a touch screen? What size screen will it be? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I have never had DVD Nav before and the Sync is new to all of us.

I have seen somewhere a demo or a picture of the SYNC system on a regular Ford radio without the Nav screen. So, based on that, my prediction is that you DO NOT get a Nav screen unless you order the Nav system.

Of course, my prediction and $3.19 will buy a gallon of gas!

I found the Sync Demo on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUiJaIlLRg

It clearly shows the LCD screen used to view Caller ID, Text Messages, and Track Listings. Maybe I'm answering my own question here but I don't see how you could possibly use those features without a LCD. I can see the Edge in the Demo has the DVD Nav buttons to the right of the screen.

And also, the way the menus are laid out on some of those demo screens, I'm gonna say it has to be a touch screen.

Edited by jamers1

I found the Sync Demo on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUiJaIlLRg

It clearly shows the LCD screen used to view Caller ID, Text Messages, and Track Listings. Maybe I'm answering my own question here but I don't see how you could possibly use those features without a LCD. I can see the Edge in the Demo has the DVD Nav buttons to the right of the screen.

Could be the same way that RDS info is displayed on a non-NAV radio

Could be the same way that RDS info is displayed on a non-NAV radio

I suppose that is possible but that would be extremely cheesey. Plus the screen on the radio is extremely limited in size. Half the time the song title can't even fit without scrolling horizontally.

I will say now that if it takes ordering the DVD Nav just to get the LCD to take full advantage of the Sync then I'll be getting the DVD Nav.

Edited by jamers1

Sh!t. Now I found this demo of the Sync on an MKX.

It uses what appears to be a radio with a larger display screen but I think it looks very cheesey in comparision to the DVD Nav's LCD. If this is what I can expect then the will relutantly fork over the extra cash for the DVD Nav.

• 2 weeks later...
Sh!t. Now I found this demo of the Sync on an MKX.

It uses what appears to be a radio with a larger display screen but I think it looks very cheesey in comparision to the DVD Nav's LCD. If this is what I can expect then the will relutantly fork over the extra cash for the DVD Nav.

I think it is awesome that they have gone to the effort to make this work with non-nav systems. I know lots of folks who would love this but have no desire for the nav bits.