New Member with 2012 Ecoboost On Order

Gimp

I finally decided to trade in the faithful 2000 Honda Odyssey that I purchased nearly 12 years and 218,000 miles ago. I wanted to downsize a bit as well as try to improve my fuel efficiency and my initial research had me pointed toward a Subaru Outback. However, a number of things about that vehicle underwhelmed me and a friend directed me toward the Ford Edge. Shortly into a visit at the dealership, it suddenly hit me that this was 'the car' I was looking for. On the 17th of October I placed an order for a 2012 SEL with the Ecoboost engine. I tend to keep my cars for a minimum of six years and the majority have been a vehicles that were of the right model on the lot, but only 'almost the right' vehicle package. This time I decided that I didn't want the first one off off the lot, and that I was willing to wait to get it the way I wanted it. The package I selected included white platinum paint, black leather seating, 205A package, and vision package. I was initially told that I might expect the vehicle to arrive around the 1st of December. A recent update told me that it would hit the production line on the 7th of November, with arrival at the dealership by the week of the 14th. The anticipation is making the purchasing experience quite a bit more enjoyable.

Comments on my engine choice: I knew the fuel efficiency numbers for the 3.5 engine and thought that was acceptable, but was truly interested in the Ecoboost engine as I drive over 20,000 miles a year. The dealership didn't have an Ecoboost Edge on the lot yet, so I tried the 3.5. Everything about it was quite acceptable to me. I did note a bit of a transmission shift lag that I'd read about on this forum but wasn't concerned about it. I had that same characteristic on a Honda Civic that my daughter uses, and it went away by 8,000 miles. That, or I just got used to it. I really wasn't interested in purchasing an Ecoboost Edge unless I had a chance to drive it, and I was wavering in the direction of the 3.5. I also ran an analysis of the fuel cost savings of the Ecoboost over the the 3.5. At the current cost of fuel, at 20,000 miles per year, it would have taken me nearly 4 years of driving to make up for th $995 additional cost of the Ecoboost. I would expect to keep the vehicle for a minimum of 6 years, but that would have given me a thin economic reason for that choice. Last Monday I went back to the dealership thinking that I would take the 3.5. However, the salesperson told me that they'd gotten a couple of Ecoboost Edge's in. He seemed rather charged up when he told me that he'd taken it for a drive himself and was unexpectedly surprised at the performance improvement in terms of pick-up over the 3.5. I mentioned that the much higher torque numbers would explain that. Now my interest was back on the Ecoboost choice. I took the vehicle for a drive and was really impressed with the pickup of the vehicle. I also noticed that the transmission shifting was much, much better than the 3.5. By the time I got back to the dealership, I knew that was my choice. I think that Ford has a real winner with this engine and once people find out about it, the demand is going to exceed the supply.

I have been accused by my wife and daughter of driving "like an old man". In all fairness, I've been driving a mini van for 12 years. I also have this convoy mentality from a career in the Army so I just tend to watch the traffic and brake lights well ahead of me so that I'm not constantly jack rabbit starting and then slamming on the brakes all of the time. (The accordian affect.) I've noticed that I don't get any further ahead for all of that extra use of gas and brakes. That being said, my driving style tends to get me an MPG rating that is about 20% better than the new EPA driving profile rating. With a rating of 30 MPG on the Ecoboost, I am hoping to see an actual MPG of 33 or more, but won't be unhappy with the 30 MPG because it's a nice improvement over my current ride.

I will post again once I have the vehicle and have something factual to report. Thanks to everyone for all of the good advice that I've been finding in this forum!