Early Impressions

Scorpio

Picked the car (loaded 2012 Limited AWD) up middle of last week, and just got home from a weekend road trip where we put aprx 1k km on it, mostly highway of course. So some first impressions:

- very comfortable and quiet ride, tire noise in particular was practically non-existant (20" Pirelli Scorpions).

- interior room and stowage is more than adequate for two on a weekend getaway; really like the power open/close liftgate - thumbs up there. Add keyless entry/go to that list of great things you didn't know you really liked until you tried 'em. Nothing like running up to the car in pouring rain and opening the just-in-time unlocking doors without having to fumble for a key.

- car was very stable with great road manners, very sure footed and confidence inspiring in nasty weather; not a great handler though, but then it's not supposed to be a sports car. We also have an Acura RDX that is much better in that respect, but also rides noticeably harsher.

- Navigation, and MFT in general, worked very well with no glitches.

- pleasantly surprised at the usefulness of the passive cruise control; in light to moderate highway traffic it worked very well, maintaining speed and distance behind other vechicles very unobtrusively, and returning to set speed when pulling into a clear lane to pass. All without touching any peddles or controls - impressive.

- rainsensing wipers, not so impressive. Had some heavy rain, and even snow, at times and the rain sensing function just didn't seem to have much sense. It always lagged it seemed, and then would wipe when there was a clear windsheild with no moisture.

- climate control, with the usual "I like it cool, she likes it warm" setting, worked very well. Well enough to keep the complaints down, so that worked for me!

- still a new engine, with few miles, but FWIW highway mileage was in the 22-23 mpg range with cruise set right around 65mph.

- all the multiple displays are a little daunting at first, but you quickly acclimatize to them; still getting used to just talking to the car to tell it what I want though LOL.

All in all, a very pleasant and satisfied first taste of Edge ownership - two thumps up!

Edited by Scorpio

Good to hear you are enjoying the Edge. Ditto on the passive entry... love that feature. I've had power liftgate in other vehicles... the next generation Escape will have an even better feature where, if you have your fob, you can wave your foot under the back bumper and the liftgate will open (and close) for you. Very handy!

I'm sitting right now at 3,500km on mine after three months and am getting 23 mpg on it in mostly City driving, consistently. I'm pleased with that.

It will be neat to put the left info screen on "Intelligent AWD" when the roads get slippery and watch the torque be apportioned. Hopefully the AWD system is as good as my Terrain AWD.... after owning part time four wheel drive vehicles all my life I was blown away by the traction of an electronically controlled full time system.

Cheers

Picked the car (loaded 2012 Limited AWD) up middle of last week, and just got home from a weekend road trip where we put aprx 1k km on it, mostly highway of course. So some first impressions:

- very comfortable and quiet ride, tire noise in particular was practically non-existant (20" Pirelli Scorpions).

I have to agree with you, it is very quiet. We tested a 2011 toyota venza (somewhat quiet but a harsher ride for sure, maybe because of the big tires), and a used lexus es 350 (unexpectedly noisy on the highway). We also tested an used nissan murano (not happy with the cvt transmission, quite different from a regular automatic one). Acura RDX is sportier, and also noticeably harsher. But the comfort and quietness were at the top in the 2011 edge, not to mention the more-than-enough power. Ford edge, at least from 2011, is hard to beat as a family crossover. I really wanted the lexus es350 used (luxury etc), and then the new 2011 venza (you know, toyota), but I had to give up and recognize that 2011 edge is the best package for us. And even though I read a lot of stuff on the internet, the truth came out when we tested each car. So my advice (after endless hours on the Internet), get out there and test drive every car on your radar. And no, lexus is not the ultimate luxury, and toyota in general is not the ultimate car company (test drive a venza after u test drive and edge and you'll see what I mean). For those of you who don't believe me, I'm sorry, after 4 american cars I really wanted to change, but I ended with edge, and I'm very happy. Maybe next time ...