Speaker Wiring

So here's the scoop, I have 6 MB Quartz speakers going into my Limited '11, and I want to get the best input from you guys who have wired your cars on how you wired your speakers to the amp. I also have the RE-Q5 and I want to know the location where you put that bundle of joy at. I also have two Rockford 12's being powered by an MTX amp, a four channel Rockford Prime amp powering my front four MB's and my back MB speakers will be powered by a two channel Rockford amp.

• 1 month later...

So here's the scoop, I have 6 MB Quartz speakers going into my Limited '11, and I want to get the best input from you guys who have wired your cars on how you wired your speakers to the amp. I also have the RE-Q5 and I want to know the location where you put that bundle of joy at. I also have two Rockford 12's being powered by an MTX amp, a four channel Rockford Prime amp powering my front four MB's and my back MB speakers will be powered by a two channel Rockford amp.

What did you end up doing? I swapped out my four main speakers in my 2011 SEL for some MB Quartz speakers and have now bought the RE-Q5, a Bazooka sub, and a 5 channel amp.

I'd love to know how you wired everything so I can tell my installer.

Thanks.

Factory amp is in the rear next to the sub. You need to tap into the system from back there with the RE-Q5. I am waiting until next weekend and installing my system. Going with the following stealth install (amp and processor completely hidden under the rear floor):

JBL MS-8 processor to run active front stage

Hybrid Audio speakers (Mix of Imagine and Legatia lines for 5.1 setup)

JL HD900/5 amp

JL Stealthbox with 1 10w3v3

Factory amp is in the rear next to the sub. You need to tap into the system from back there with the RE-Q5. I am waiting until next weekend and installing my system. Going with the following stealth install (amp and processor completely hidden under the rear floor):

JBL MS-8 processor to run active front stage

Hybrid Audio speakers (Mix of Imagine and Legatia lines for 5.1 setup)

JL HD900/5 amp

JL Stealthbox with 1 10w3v3

I put my JL Stealthbox where the factory sub goes, and my two amps behind the spare tire (modified the plastic trays under the floor to accomodate the amps). I put my RE-Q5 just above the glove box wired directly into the head unit (MFT screen). This way I could tap into all four speakers instead of just one or two, plus I ended up replacing the factory speakers anyway, so this made the most sense for me.

Ok, sorry, but I have an SEL with no sub. So would that change what I would already find back there?

I am not sure with the SEL. You would still prob want to place the amps back there as it's safe and out of the way. If you put them under the rear seats they might get damaged as the seats drop down when you fold them flat.

I put my JL Stealthbox where the factory sub goes, and my two amps behind the spare tire (modified the plastic trays under the floor to accomodate the amps). I put my RE-Q5 just above the glove box wired directly into the head unit (MFT screen). This way I could tap into all four speakers instead of just one or two, plus I ended up replacing the factory speakers anyway, so this made the most sense for me.

I'm going to modify the trays too and build a cover for them so the amps can't be seen when the floor is lifted. Not covering the entire tray but the part where the amps are. The RE-Q5 can be installed before or after the factory amp. The MS-8 needs the high level from after the amp or pre-outs which our OEM headunit doesn't have. That's why i need to put it in the back. Easier to wire and power off a distro block.

Well, the 6" Bazooka sub, the Boss Chaos Epic 5 channel amp & the RE-Q5 all made it here in time for Christmas.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the wiring sequence Head Unit >> RE-Q5 >> Amp? Or Head Unit >> Amp >> RE-Q5? Which is better?
  2. Where have you guys had your sub knob installed near the drivers seat.?
  3. Does the "iPod" input knob included with the RE-Q5 even need to be used?
  4. Are there any other specifics I should tell the installer?

Thanks a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 6" Bazooka sub, the Boss Chaos Epic 5 channel amp & the RE-Q5 all made it here in time for Christmas.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the wiring sequence Head Unit >> RE-Q5 >> Amp? Or Head Unit >> Amp >> RE-Q5? Which is better?
  2. Where have you guys had your sub knob installed near the drivers seat.?
  3. Does the "iPod" input knob included with the RE-Q5 even need to be used?
  4. Are there any other specifics I should tell the installer?

Thanks a bunch.

Per MTX the wiring to the REQ5 should come straight from the head unit, then the amps connect to the REQ via RCA cables. I put my REQ above the glove box, under the passenger air bag so I didn't have to find the wires in the back of the car. I just took all four speaker cables right off the wiring harness on the back of the MFT head unit (if I remember correctly the speaker wires actually come off of the CD-Player unit, not from behind the display, if you have MFT)

I didn't use the sub nob or the ipod nob mainly because the MFT takes care of the IPOD control/sound (which then in turn the REQ does since it is receiving the sound from the MFT head unit, and I didn't want to find a place to have to mount the sub nob.

What did you end up doing? I swapped out my four main speakers in my 2011 SEL for some MB Quartz speakers and have now bought the RE-Q5, a Bazooka sub, and a 5 channel amp.

I'd love to know how you wired everything so I can tell my installer.

Thanks.

where did you buy your speaker from and how much for your door speakers?