Help me choose 18 " or 20" on 2012 AWD LTD

Arctic78

Hello

I am just about to order a 2012 AWD LTD Edge and have all my options, etc sorted except I am still struggling on the tire size ... 18" versus 20"

I live in the Northwest Territories, Canada and we have snow from late Oct until end of April.

I really like the look of the 20's but wondering about four things

- good all weather tire performance

-how the cold temps will impact the 20s as they already will have a 50 aspect ratio sidewall

- the price of replacing 20s over 18s

- smoothness of ride

All of the above have me leaning towards the 18's, but based on looks would really like the 20s

Question, will I really sacrifice much in ride and snow performance on the 20s? Also, I don't know much about tires but, unlike the 22s, the 20s seem like a semi-sport (slightly higher sidewall). So, will the 20s perform more like 18s (regular tires)or more like 22s (sport tires).

Thanks for any input.

Living where you do, it would be better in the long run to go with a set of separate winter wheels and tires - you can pick up a set of 17" steel wheels + winter tires (I have 235/65-17's) for not a whole lot more than you would pay for a new set of 20" tires alone. Plus having that winter set will save a lot of wear and tear on your "good" summer wheels. I have the 20" on mine, as for ride/handling quality , for normal use you're not going to see a big difference in comarison with the 18's, again IMO.

Edited by Scorpio

I got my Edge with the factory 18s and replaced them with 20s since I didn't like how either factory 18s or 20s looked. Something I did not realize when I bought my Edge is that the vehicles that come with factory 20s have a slightly lower gear ratio, presumably to help offset the slightly higher weight of the larger wheels. So if I had to do it over I would probably opt for the factory 20s just to get that lower gearing since it would be nice to have a little more punch while accelerating off the line and while cruising on the highway in top gear.

As far as how the 18s vs 20s ride, there is definitely a difference but it's not huge. My last two vehicles were sporty VWs so I prefer the sportier feel of the 20s - it feels more "planted" and less "floating." If you prefer a smoother ride go with the 18s.