anyone elses rear defrost not work right?

james_stl

so our 6month old edge limited is at the dealership with an odd problem. As winter came around I started to notice that one line in the middle of the grid of the rear defrost seemed not to be working, even after the frost had fully been removed a line still stayed on the one wire. So it's at the dealership right now and they've yet to find the problem through testing and are keeping it over night to reproduce the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this problem, I fear this will be several trips to the dealer to resolve.

any insight?

so our 6month old edge limited is at the dealership with an odd problem. As winter came around I started to notice that one line in the middle of the grid of the rear defrost seemed not to be working, even after the frost had fully been removed a line still stayed on the one wire. So it's at the dealership right now and they've yet to find the problem through testing and are keeping it over night to reproduce the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this problem, I fear this will be several trips to the dealer to resolve.

any insight?

Hope it is an easy fix - maybe just a bad heater wire in that spot? Mine has worked great through an already long winter. Lots of use.

any insight?

Hi james. :D As choff and Scorpiio stated, in the overwhelming majority of such cases (a single defrost grid line inop), it is a break in the grid line. It is a simple diagnosis and a simple repair. Since all the grid lines work but one, the other "usual suspects" can be eliminated (i.e. a defective switch, bad relay, blown fuse etc.).

While I hate to speculate why they did not find the break today (or get to it?), sometimes it is just easier to locate the break when the window has condensation and the defroster is activated. Often times, you can see a tiny spot on the glass which will be clear of condensation, right where the break is. So maybe they want the Tech to check it in the morning when there is condensation present. Or perhaps they wanted to/needed to verify the problem area first (again, with condensation present in the morning). Either way, it should be an easy fix tomorrow.

Let us know how you make out and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

they tested today and said there wasnt any breaks and everything checked out ok. I'm actually a tech myself and will be there in the morning to watch them and test it myself, not that I dont trust this dealer, but if they say it isn't a broken line then I'm clueless on what it could be without trying too look at it myself... which defeats the purpose of buying a new car with warranty.

they tested today and said there wasnt any breaks and everything checked out ok. I'm actually a tech myself and will be there in the morning to watch them and test it myself, not that I dont trust this dealer, but if they say it isn't a broken line then I'm clueless on what it could be without trying too look at it myself... which defeats the purpose of buying a new car with warranty.

Exactly, this is a warranty item and that's strike one. I recommend getting video documentation of the problem. Frankly, ANY problem with your new vehicle. You never know if you'll need the proof. Then take it to another dealer. Ford gets four shots to fix a warranty item in my State before a good attorney will clean up. It's just business, cover your butt because Ford will cover theirs.