LED Turn Signal Indicator on the Mirrors for 2012

latinsazon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to fit side turn signals to my Edge when I brought it back to Finland to meet the regulations. Other than the option to drill a hole in front fender and install a turn signal lamp from a European Ford or after market, I looked for LED's that could be fitted to the mirrors.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Stick_On_Amber_LED_Indicator_Pair_LEDA9

This is what I went for and they actually don't look too cancerous. I stuck them on using the 3M tape strips provided, to the black plastic section of the mirror in line with the painted part of the mirror and threaded the wire through with rest of the door mirror wiring and then feed to the front turn signals. Being LED, the resistance is so low that it does not effect the vehicle system diagnostics.

They don't look bad at all. Can you post pics of them installed on your Edge?

Will do but its -35.C outside at the moment.

It does not mention and I only noticed when I received them that there is one LED at the end nearest the cable that directed at 90 deg from the others so if you rap them around the mirror as I have done, the final LED directs towards the back of the vehicle. This is actually a requirement in Europe so the flasher can be seen from someone behind you.

The lamps flex and bend quite easy so its easy to fit to the curve of the mirrors.

Will do but its -35.C outside at the moment.

It does not mention and I only noticed when I received them that there is one LED at the end nearest the cable that directed at 90 deg from the others so if you rap them around the mirror as I have done, the final LED directs towards the back of the vehicle. This is actually a requirement in Europe so the flasher can be seen from someone behind you.

The lamps flex and bend quite easy so its easy to fit to the curve of the mirrors.

Yes, a bit chilly outside for you ! I can see why you have the name that you have, mine would be frozen, too ! I think that in Europe, they are ahead of the U.S.A. in may respects regarding safety issues. I'm glad to see that they are putting the indicators on the Edge and MKX, and in my MKX they were standard equipment when you order at least equipment package 101A, they should be STANDARD on all models. A good idea to have them visible from the rear, too.

Edited by JOEHIO

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those look great. I just picked up a pair. Could you give me some informaton on how to install them?

Thanks

I went for the easiest and quickest option.

1) Remove mirror unit from the door by removing back cover to 3 nuts, disconnect electrics (one plug), you should not need to remove the glass.

2) I attached turn signal unit to the black plastic section of the mirror unit and not the painted section, check fit before sticking. Should be able to bend around panel, just below painted section.

3) The end with the wire attached has the rear facing lamp so this end should be the closest to the mirror. You will see this by testing the units before installing.

4) Drill a small hole in the black plastic in the location that the wire will be, once stuck to the mirror unit.

5) Take a small wire and push into the back of the mirror unit from the fixing end to the door and allow wire to come out through gap between mirror glass and unit. Then feed wire from turn signal unit through drilled hole and secure to the wire from the other end and pull turn signal wire through the unit.

6) Ensure the plastic is clean and then stick unit to the mirror unit and hold unit its stuck. Rear flashing lamp should be seen when standing at the rear of the vehicle. To ensure a clean look, I later used some black silicone sealant to give it cleaner lines between flasher and plastic of the mirror unit.

7) Re-install the mirror unit

8) If you have the time, feed wire through the door wiring and fix to the front turn signal wires. If not, you can feed the wire from the exit of the door mirror unit, through the front wing gaps and into the engine bay, where you can connect to the front turn signal wires. Leave enough wire that door can open and close. (no one will notice unless they are really anal).

I dont have to take mirror glass off? How do I feed wire? I was thinking of connecting them to the drivers side kick panel but I dont know what wires to use? Also how did oyu connec them? Quick ttap connect or solder or what? HOw did you wire without seeing the wire? I would have to take the door panel off and run wire through exisitng wiring and into the rubber grommet to get the weather seal? Basically I am asking once I get the wiring through outside mirror wiring and inside the mirror trim panel what do I do next?

• 2 weeks later...

Once you have taken the mirror off the door (3 nuts) you can feed a small wire from that side into the back of the mirror housing. Then once you have drilled your hole for the LED lights into the side of the mirror assembly, feed this into the housing, push the mirror lens in at the bottom and you should be able to pull both the LED wire and the feed wire out. Connect them together and pull the feed wire back until the LED wire is through. Then pull all the excess through and you are now ready to attach the LED lamp to the outside of the mirror.

Then reconnect the mirror to the door and then either go through the door or straight to the front wing and feed through into engine bay. Wire is very small and not a problem for weather strip or drill a small hole to feed wire. I took the shortest route with the intention of going through the door at a latter date but nearly a year on and its still the same (I'm not so anal about my car) lights were a necessity to pass inspection.

I will take some pictures and reply soon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad I came across this topic! I was just complaining about the lack of LEDs on my truck last month (2011 Edge Sport)...and low and behold, the new Edge Sport 2013 with LED lights rolled by me last week!!

Of course, I immediately called my Ford dealer to see if I could buy them as accessories. As of now, Ford isn't coming out with these mirrors as accessories for older vehicles. The part guy said it could be the older models are not wired for LED lights. He said next time I take my truck in for servicing, have the tech check to make sure. ANd of course, trading my truck in for the 2013 makes absolutely zero sense. :confused:

These stick-on lights seem like a great alternative. I'm concerned about the durability, though. Also, can you see they're stick-ons when you get up close (can you see the tape?)

Thanks!

Misha

Edited by Afritalian

Durability is good, they have been through a full year in the Arctic and still look as good as new. If you take care when attaching them, they will be OK but to improve the finish I used some black silicone sealant around the edge.

Alternatively, you could purchase the production LED mirrors and wire in the same way as I explained above, they are LED's so connecting to front turn feed will not cause any problems.