DRLs on MKX with HID headlights (an FYI)

ThunderRoad

I know there's been some confusion regarding what you can and can't do to get some kind of a Daytime Running Lights on the Edge/MKX.

I took info I learned here and when I had my new MKX (which has the HID system) in to the dealer today (needed to install a couple dealer-added items) and they were able to flip the switch in the computer to enable the DRL feature that sets the headlights to low-voltage mode whenever you are in gear. Didn't get any pushback from the tech on it either, or song-and-dance about it being illegal in America or some lame excuse.

I like it because 1) it's safer and 2) it's knocks $10/mo off my insurance.

Anyways, just passing on an FYI.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Learned about DRL capability through this and other Edge/MKX discussion sites and decided to give them a try.

My local Ford dealer agreed to attempt to turn the DRLs on for me, though they hadn't received that request before.

The service tech said the programming menu choices are to either "enable" or "disable" the DRLs. Took him less than 30 minutes to do the job and the dealership -- which is not where I purchased my vehicle -- charged me nothing to do the job.

With the DRLs "enabled" on my 2012 MKX, the front amber turn signals are lighted full-time when the engine is running and the transmission is not in Park.

I am very happy with the results and especially appreciate the non-selling dealer's kindness in not charging me anything for this valuable service.