Popping/Kocking noise from pillar

shumax

The vehicle is a 2008 SEL with about 70k on it. When going over uneven surfaces - like bumps, potholes, turning into driveways, etc. there is a very noticeable knock/popping that comes from the pillar on the passengers side b/t the front and rear seat. It may actually be coming from the area back by the rear passengers seat. It's coming from middle of the car and up - not down low like a suspension noise.

It's annoying and almost sounds like something is lose. Any thoughts? It's out of warranty, so taking it to the dealer is sort of a last resort.

Thanks!

SHUMAX

The vehicle is a 2008 SEL with about 70k on it. When going over uneven surfaces - like bumps, potholes, turning into driveways, etc. there is a very noticeable knock/popping that comes from the pillar on the passengers side b/t the front and rear seat. It may actually be coming from the area back by the rear passengers seat. It's coming from middle of the car and up - not down low like a suspension noise.

It's annoying and almost sounds like something is lose. Any thoughts? It's out of warranty, so taking it to the dealer is sort of a last resort.

Thanks!

SHUMAX

How about we do a swap--- mine does it from the driver's side and I'm willing to trade you my noisy pillar for your quiet one! :shrug: Maybe I'll rip it all apart today and see what the hell is in there-- I've been threatening to do that for a while now.

Thanks!

SHUMAX

Hi SHUMAX. :D I would start by asking a car-savvy friend to take a ride with you. While you re-create the noise by driving over bumps, potholes, into driveways etc., let him sit in the front and back seat and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. If you can isolate the sound to a particular area, then check all trim, fasteners, wiring harnesses and whatever else is in the problem area for integrity and sound isolation. And just a heads-up: I would not try to remove any trim in the cold weather (unless you have a heated garage) as it will be stiff and prone to breakage.

Let us know how you make out and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

How about we do a swap--- mine does it from the driver's side and I'm willing to trade you my noisy pillar for your quiet one! :shrug: Maybe I'll rip it all apart today and see what the hell is in there-- I've been threatening to do that for a while now.

Woops! I typed that incorrectly. Mine is on the DRIVERS side, too! I've listened very carefully and it sounds like it's coming from the window area on the drivers side rear seat. It almost sounds like it is coming from up at the area where the sunroof is at - in the rear corner. Regardless, it's very annoying and reminds me of a car with 300,000 miles on it. I owned a Ford 500 that had the same issue and I never did determine what it was. Got rid of it for a lot of reasons.

If you tear it apart, let me know what you are able to find - thanks!

Woops! I typed that incorrectly. Mine is on the DRIVERS side, too! I've listened very carefully and it sounds like it's coming from the window area on the drivers side rear seat. It almost sounds like it is coming from up at the area where the sunroof is at - in the rear corner. Regardless, it's very annoying and reminds me of a car with 300,000 miles on it. I owned a Ford 500 that had the same issue and I never did determine what it was. Got rid of it for a lot of reasons.

If you tear it apart, let me know what you are able to find - thanks!

I found the source--- it's the door panel rubbing on the door handle mount-- push on the door panel just above the door handle and see if that's not the same noise you hear-- tomorrow, I will pull the panel and tighten it up where it slips over the sheet metal in the door. Stop it from moving and the problem will stop--- or maybe lubricate the rubbing area-- I'll let you know---

I found the source--- it's the door panel rubbing on the door handle mount-- push on the door panel just above the door handle and see if that's not the same noise you hear-- tomorrow, I will pull the panel and tighten it up where it slips over the sheet metal in the door. Stop it from moving and the problem will stop--- or maybe lubricate the rubbing area-- I'll let you know---

All fixed--- noise was from 2 different places-- one was the door panel rubbing on the door handle mount-- that was fixed by removing just enough of the plasitc in the door panel with a sharp knife. The rest of the noise was a little more elusive and after chasing it down, I isolated it to the door latch. Spraying the latch with some silicone did the trick. So, I went ahead and did ALL THE DOORS AND HINGES-- including the lift gate.

Ford builds damn quiet cars(if you lube the parts that move---)

• 3 months later...

I am a regional sales rep and log a lot of miles and just turned 49k this week just a week past my one year buy date of my 2010 Edge SEL. I bought my 2010 Edge used with only 17k miles and began noticing the problem at around 30m miles and took it to my nearby dealer at around 34k with an intermittent but significant vibration in steering, especially when moving forward or backwards at low speed - as in when I'm going into or backing out of a parking space. They at first couldn’t duplicate the issue until I drove it with two of their techs and they immediately noticed the issue with me at the wheel, contacted Ford and they had them replace the power steering pump. It was somewhat better but now is much worse and of course my warranty has expired. There reply after test driving another Edge is “it is a typical noise for the Edge.” My claim is this is bogus and there is definitely a bigger issue. I am now also having a noticeable popping noise from both shocks, especially when turning or going over bumps while turning at speeds under 20mph and will be asking for help within the forum on this today. This is NOT a loose panel issue as it definitely coming from within the front suspension area and continues to get worse. I have had my nearby Midas twice for service and had them check the issue and they could find nothing loose or showing excessive wear. I did find on another web posting elsewhere that someone else had same issue no 2008 and "tightened the nuts at the top of the shock tower" and fixed the issue and I will be checking this today.