Gas Tank

09 Edge

Ford uses some preformed hoses that connect the filler flange to the tank. They had a bad problem with some Taurus's some years back. It seems the preformed bend was collapsing and not letting the gasoline flow freely. I would either get under the car or put it on a lift and see if the hose is kinked. A second problem may be the vent hose. I do not know if the Edge's have one, but some have a separate smaller line that runs from the tank to the filler neck for venting air as the gasoline comes in. An innovative mechanic may be able to blow some low pressure through this line to verify it is clear, with the cap off, no open flames, standing clear if some liquid is forced out, with the tank way less than full, very low pressure,,,, just some of the stuff you would think would be common sense.

Also check for a TSB on this, might be the 1st thing to do.

good luck,

Ford uses some preformed hoses that connect the filler flange to the tank. They had a bad problem with some Taurus's some years back. It seems the preformed bend was collapsing and not letting the gasoline flow freely. I would either get under the car or put it on a lift and see if the hose is kinked. A second problem may be the vent hose. I do not know if the Edge's have one, but some have a separate smaller line that runs from the tank to the filler neck for venting air as the gasoline comes in. An innovative mechanic may be able to blow some low pressure through this line to verify it is clear, with the cap off, no open flames, standing clear if some liquid is forced out, with the tank way less than full, very low pressure,,,, just some of the stuff you would think would be common sense.

Also check for a TSB on this, might be the 1st thing to do.

good luck,

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, SOON AS WE FIND THE PROBLEM I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We have a 2012 Edge, 4 cycliner, with Ecoboost, purchased in November 2011, Current mileage, 9,800. Initially, we could not seem to compeletely fill the gas tank. Although the fuel gauage would show full at the gas pump, less then 30 miles of driving would have the fuel level down to 3/4 of a tank. Our local dealer first replaced the gas tank, which did not correct the condition. The dealer then replaced the fuel sending unit which has corrected the problem. On one fill up during a 3,200 mile trip, I was able to add 15.3 gallons to a 18.x gallon tank. This was when the miles to empty display showed between 80 and 100 miles. Overall, In about 20 fill ups of the tank, we have been successful in getting the tank full and having the fuel guage show full for a considerable distance, as expected. I follow the owner's manual instructions to stop filling with the second automatic pump shut off click. I believe the only variable for how much gas is put into the tank is the sensitivity of the pump automatic shutoff and the style of the gas pump supply nozzle.