Just bought a Red 2012 Ford Edge Sport AWD

VirtualMirage

Hello fellow forum members!

Our family got larger on Christmas day, which required us to look for a larger vehicle. While we loved our 2010 Mazda 3s Grand Touring 5-door hatchback, there just wasn't enough room to have a baby carrier car seat behind the passenger seat and room for someone to sit up front. Because of this, the wife had to sit in the back. Our other car is a 2004 Mazda 3s 5-Door hatchback which we still plan on keeping for me to use to commute to work in.

I've been researching for a few months now and was settled on either an Edge, an MKX, or a Volvo XC60 (Turbo I6 R-Line model). I nixed the XC60 when I came to the conclusion that I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for at the dealer for what I want to pay and that my insurance premiums would have gone up more than I would have liked. It also didn't help that if I needed to have warranty work done, I would need to drive almost 2 hours to the nearest dealer whereas the nearest Ford/Lincoln dealer for me is about 15 minutes away. The MKX was my ideal choice (and only a few dollars more in insurance), but all the dealers around here kept tacking on the ugly wood trim option and so many other features I didn't want (which would make the price higher than I wanted to pay). So the Edge Sport was kind of the compromise, offering a little of both of what the Edge and MKX offer while at a lower price point than the MKX and quite a bit cheaper in insurance. The two things I wanted that the Sport doesn't offer stock that I had to settle without are the HID headlights and the trailer tow package, but they weren't deal breakers. The tow package wasn't needed but was more so for planning on potential future needs. My last three cars all had HIDs, with the 3 we traded in having adaptive headlights, which I loved and notice the difference. But these headlights seem to be pretty good, so we'll see if I can leave them or will upgrade them in the future.

So on Saturday we traded in our 2010 Mazda 3 for a 2012 Ford Edge Sport AWD in Candy Red trim. It's pretty much loaded. The only options we didn't get were the DVD entertainment system and the all weather floormats (which I intend on picking up soon). I feel we got a pretty great deal on it, with exception to me thinking the dealer was trying to screw me on my trade in (which I managed to get them to meet me in the middle of what I was looking for). We started our search using the USAA car buying service, which I must helped immensely finding exactly what I was looking for. After the $1500 incentive and some additional discounts the dealer gave we managed to get the car below invoice and just little about dealer cost. It would have been even more savings if I financed through Ford and got an extra $1000 incentive, but Ford's interest rates couldn't match what I could get elsewhere.

I feel the new car has already almost paid for itself when last night in the wintery mix our little girl had a major blowout, requiring a thorough cleaning and diaper change. We stopped at the Wawa but they didn't have a changing station. So we ended up folding the front passenger seat flat, making for an instant changing table. I can see that feature being very helpful on future driving trips.

We are looking forward to many more adventures in our new car.

Paul

Edited by VirtualMirage

• 2 weeks later...