Car doest recognize liftgate is open.

shannonford08

I noticed that my rear fold down seats wont fold with the optional power switch. After checking the relay and fuse i discovered my car doesn't notice my liftgate is open. i can drive my car with no alarm for my liftgate being open. Is their a sensor that lets the car know its open? I believe thats why my rear seats wont fold down with the switch. Any suggestions? My car is a 2008 Edge Limited without the power liftgate.

Edited by shannonford08

I noticed that my rear fold down seats wont fold with the optional power switch. After checking the relay and fuse i discovered my car doesn't notice my liftgate is open. i can drive my car with no alarm for my liftgate being open. Is their a sensor that lets the car know its open? I believe thats why my rear seats wont fold down with the switch. Any suggestions? My car is a 2008 Edge Limited without the power liftgate.

How do you know it doesn't notice? If there is a sensor it's probably in the latch mechanism.

It does not give the signal any more. I ment to say it used to ding and give the message letting me know it open, but it stopped doing that. Leading me to believe that why the power foldown seats stopped folding when the liftgate is open. The switch would be disabled with the liftgate down and I think the car not knowing the liftgate is open is why the switch won't work.

It does not give the signal any more. I ment to say it used to ding and give the message letting me know it open, but it stopped doing that. Leading me to believe that why the power foldown seats stopped folding when the liftgate is open. The switch would be disabled with the liftgate down and I think the car not knowing the liftgate is open is why the switch won't work.

Oh, ok. Got it now. Yes, that does sound like a sensor problem. It's probably in the latch itself on the bottom of the rear hatch. Try spraying wd-40.

Well long story short, I took the lift gate apart and removed the latch mechanism. I took my compressor and sprayed it out. Then I hosed it with WD-40, then sprayed with the compressor again. Put it back together and BOOM, all better. Thanks for the idea and helping me figure this out. liftgate is recognized and my seats fold down with the switch once again! :)