Thoughts from a noob

I will have to confess that maticulous washing of my vehicles has been an evolutionary process. For many years my primary vehicles were also my work vehicles so washing was secondary to working. My last truck was an F150 Lariat and I would use a touchless car wash to clean it, then I'd have it detailed a couple times a year. Now, I have had my new Edge for 1 week and I ventured out to wash it today (I'm starting off just trying in to clean it. I'll get to the other details as I learn). Here are my first impressions for what they are worth.

First, you know if washing your vehicle makes you nervous, you are a real noob. It was quite windy so I left the garage door closedand washed with ONR but the first thing I felt I was lacking was light. You need good light if you are going to do this type of thing right.

Second, I needed more MF waffle towels. One large one was not enough to dry the entire car. Everything I have is new so I used my general purpose MF towels to finish the job (I'll order more waffle towel today).

Third, the sheepskin glove was nice, but I felt that using my general purpose MF towels worked better with the ONR for washing. If I could have rinsed the car off more before starting, the sheepskin would have been fine.

I started out thinking that using a blower to help dry was an expensive toy. I'll think again about that. I was not happy trying to get into those little crevices and get them dry.

Also, you don't have to do it all at the same time (I was happy to take a break between drying the car and doing the wheels). I will do the interior later this week. Something else I found was, when drying, I had a damper towel in one hand to do the initial mop up of water, then I used a dryer towel in my other hand to finish drying. That seemed to really get the car 'dry'. You can't have too many towels.

Lastly, I am really thankful for people who share their knowledge about how to do this kind of thing.

All and all, I had a good time getting the car clean. I'm looking forward to the next detail steps.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, you've done your homework; ONR is a fantastic product. BTW, there's a new version just out now. Optimum is selling it on their site with some free bonus if I recall. When I do ONR, I use mf towels (long nap ones at that) and when I've done a panel or two, I wring out the mf very well and dry it with that. Then I use my waffle weave drying towel after that. You wouldn't believe how much of a time saver it is for your drying step and you will only use one ww for the whole car. Try it that way next time and let me know what you think!

Good idea. Never occured to me to use the wrung out mf towel for initial mop up. I'v been trying to learn as much as I can before doing things. Right now, the cars only 2 weeks old so what I've done is wash it and added a sealant. Just trying to protect the finish until warmer weather arrives. Then we'll see if I'm up to a complete detail.

Paul