DIY Brembo Set Up

gallery_8737_253_1432013.jpg

After weeks of machining and measuring as well as trial and error on rotors, I think we have a winner. I will get many more pictures after we powder coat and mock it up with the 355mm (14") rotors, but its looks like its going to be great, for around $900 - $100 MAX, you cant beat it.

Edited by livinonthedge

gallery_8737_253_1432013.jpg

After weeks of machining and measuring as well as trial and error on rotors, I think we have a winner. I will get many more pictures after we powder coat and mock it up with the 355mm (14") rotors, but its looks like its going to be great, for around $900 - $100 MAX, you cant beat it.

Very nice!! What year Edge do you have?

A little more info for those hwo have PM'd and posted as well.

These calipers came off of a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII. The rotors we are test fitting today and we feel are the winners were sourced off of the 2010 Mustang Shelby GT500. The SS lines we are using were custom fabbed

Here is a price break down

Calipers $400

Caliper rebuild Kit $160 (bought these because I'm taking them apart to powder coat them)

Powdercoating $100

Rotors $200

SS Lines - Made locally for $90

Thats about $950

Keep in mind the cost can change if you find a good looking set of Calipers that wont need rebuild and powder coating. I have been keeping good notes and pictures since we started and I will provide more info when we have 100% fit the setup and driven on it. Picking up the Shelby GT rotor today to double check alignment in the caliper. The rotor in the picture is from an AWD version of the Edge which is a pretty big rotor at 320 mm, but its still too small for this application. The 355mm should get her done. I have the rears also but have not started that process just yet.

What about the caliper mount? You mentioned you did some machining work...was this to the original mounts you are modifying or to fab new ones all together?

Machine work was done to the caliper itself to shave down the tabs on the back side. Caliper mout to the spindle required the machining to get it to bolt up.

Just when I though I had it all figured out, I came across a set of these Z06 rotors. Bolt pattern is different but they are cross drilled and a little cheaper than the Shelby GT rotor. I'm taking them to the machine shop on monday to have the correct bolt pattern bored and the center hub machined just a hair to match the Edge bore. Gonna give these a shot. Very nice rotor

gallery_8737_253_707249.jpg

Edited by livinonthedge

Not sure if it will or not just yet. I really have no way of telling until I get it all up and operational. Anyone with a 22 sport thats local and wants to try a test fit after we are done is more than welcome.

My first inclination is yes, but again until I put pne on I cant say so with certainty.

Tomorrow is full mock up day with either the Z06 or Shelby GT 355mm (14inch) rotor. We will know more then.

Ok, so I found a set of Acura TL Type S brembos that we are going to fit on the rears. Same style 4 piston as the fronts so we have some familiarity with them. Wont do a ton with those till the fronts are all set. Im going to post more pictures this weekend.

Once you have it all figured out you can start selling your own kit for the edge at half the cost of the Grand Touring Kit from Brembo.

Once you have it all figured out you can start selling your own kit for the edge at half the cost of the Grand Touring Kit from Brembo.

Its a good idea, but I dont want anything to do with the possible liability issues of a brake kit. I will however post a really in depth how to so that anyone who wants to attempt it can have the information.

Its a good idea, but I dont want anything to do with the possible liability issues of a brake kit.

I hear you there...at one point I was going to run a side business doing installs and some basic maintenance work for people but didn't think there would be enough business to actually create one to protect myself.

Its a good idea, but I dont want anything to do with the possible liability issues of a brake kit. I will however post a really in depth how to so that anyone who wants to attempt it can have the information.

Once you have it all figured out, got it mounted, you gotta do some serious stop testing to see if it works any better than stock, and be able to withstand the Edge's weight.

My 07 all wheel drive had only fair braking power. I changed out the brake power booster to the latest Ford OEM version (third or fourth revision) and installed a set of agressive Bendix front pads and new rotors (bassed upon tests set up for police car use off the internet). I now have no complaints about the vehicle's braking power.

Picked up the calipers from the powder coaters today and man do I love the way they came out.

I had them color matched to the Copper of the Edge and he did a wonderful job on them.

I also think I have picked out the new wheels I am going to use.

I test fit the AWD rotor today and it was too small, where the Shelby rotor was a hair too large. We are back to test fitting other rotors. I am planning on spending more time on it this weekend. Here are some of the pictures.

gallery_8737_253_960903.jpg

gallery_8737_253_1273502.jpg

gallery_8737_253_2661951.jpg