3rd brake light removal

In not trying to convince anyone that its safe but i do not think that it is unsafe unless you go to dark! I have seen people riding around with their lights so dark you can barely see the lights and i assure you mine are not that way i would show you a pic of them but idk how to post pics on here

I understand what you're saying, but any amount of tint is at least a tiny bit less safe than no tint. And Dingo is right - if you get rear ended and they see the tint it will probably be your fault. Is it really worth the risk?

I understand what you're saying, but any amount of tint is at least a tiny bit less safe than no tint. And Dingo is right - if you get rear ended and they see the tint it will probably be your fault. Is it really worth the risk?

No its not but its too late now!! Lol! I got pulled over by a state trooper once in my vw gti and i had the windows tinted 20% and the tail lights tinted the same as the edge is now and he never said anything to me about either one just gave me my speeding ticket.

I just went into the garage and checked the 3rd brake light on my mkx, and if you open the gate, there are 2 bolts (1 at each corner) that probably have to be undone, and 2 rubber gaskets, that if you took out, might have 2 more nuts to undo, looks like maybe 10mm. As I saif in an earlier post today, you might want to ask someone at a body shop, or try and google it.

I just went into the garage and checked the 3rd brake light on my mkx, and if you open the gate, there are 2 bolts (1 at each corner) that probably have to be undone, and 2 rubber gaskets, that if you took out, might have 2 more nuts to undo, looks like maybe 10mm. As I saif in an earlier post today, you might want to ask someone at a body shop, or try and google it.

Thanks for checking much appreciated but on my edge when u open the gate all you see is panels i belive it under one of them just havent got out there to atempt to take it apart yet.

Guess no one knows. Like I suggusted in a earlier post, why not stop b a body shop, and ask their advice, or try to google it.

Joe

Ill tape everything off if i have to im going to stop by the ford dealer a buddy of mine works there he should be able to tell me how to remove it

I feel badly for you Bryan. I also hate when forum members feel it necessary to interject their opinions of what you are planning to do. What's worse is that these advice-givers can't even help answer your question!!!! WTF. :gang:

And akirby's quote: "You asked for advice so you have to take the lectures along with it. Tinting taillights or headlights is a bad idea - period. If you don't want to listen to lectures then don't post about it."

bryan didn't ask for advice about anything. Bryan asked for help. Help means people are to lend a hand to answer his question. If you don't have any helpful information that would allow him to achieve the goal, then don't muddy the waters with your "advice". It only makes for a thread that others find, but have to wade through all of crap before the reader either finds the answer he came to the thread for or gives up and starts his own redundant thread muddying the waters throughout the entire forum. If you cannot help in answering the primary question or give any constructive information to further bryan along to find his answer, then don't bother posting a reply. You're more than welcome to watch the topic. But don't lecture. All they do is waste everyone's time who are genuinely interested in the topic. If you want to debate the moral or safety implications of tinting, then start your own thread and leave Bryan's alone.

Bryan, I guess the takeaway from this is that you only ask a specific question on how to do something and leave out the reason why. That way you won't have to weed through all of the personal opinions and advice in order to get your question answered. With that being said, I ask that members refocus on the only question raised, "Does anyone know how to remove the 3rd brake light on a 2012 se?"

This isn't a case of a "mod" that some people don't like. I stay out of those discussions. This is a safety and liability issue and I will comment on those every time.

If you want to do something unsafe and illegal that could cause you to be liable if someone hits you from behind then that's your business but if you post it then expect comments. If you don't want comments then don't post it.

My apologies to Bryan003, KC300C, and anyone else that might have taken offense regarding my post to safety issues concerning tinting of brake & 3rd brake light lenses. I was just thinking of safety reasons for not tinting, sorry for opening up my mouth, when I should have kept it shut. I was at the dealer today for program update for the power tailgate not closing at first time, and I did ask one of the service writers how do you take off the 3rd brakem light lens, and he said leave it to a professional, it's a real pain in the a$$. I guess the best is to mask and tape. I would buy a couple of 9 x 12 sheets of thin plastic drop cloths ( Home Depot, Lowes etc ) and tape to the roof and rear window and tailgate to prevent any type of overspray, especially if done outdoors and the wind can catch the spray.

Joe