from a puddle of antifreeze to a new engine in 2 days

Idahoser

We just had to have the engine replaced in our 2008 Edge. Insurance doesn't help, and we didn't have an extended warranty, so we had to pay for it ourselves. The shop found a used engine and we felt pretty lucky to get out with only a $3,100 bill, with a 6 month warranty. Naturally this was not at the dealership. Got a low mile engine too, 65,000 in the 115,000 Edge. If I didn't still owe 10 grand I would have just junked the car, but now that we got it done I'm glad I did it.

Anyway the cause was coolant got in the oil, due to bad water pump. We found a puddle under the car one day, thought it was a leaking radiator. Didn't know about the weep hole, or realize how serious this was on the 3.5L, and just refilled the cooling system, like you would have on an older car. Figured it would get us through a few more days. Bad move.

There is a weep hole behind the alternator that's pretty difficult to see from under the car. You pretty much need a light and mirror. You'd never know it was there except when it's leaking. It looks like a freeze plug has sprung a leak, the weep hole is at the top of the freeze plug.

If this is dripping, one of the seals on your water pump has failed. STOP DRIVING RIGHT NOW and get that fixed, because it won't be long before the other seal fails, and your engine is toast. I had first started looking into what it takes to replace the water pump, and even that's a nightmare, have to take off the engine front cover and the whole timing chain assembly, involves lifting the engine slightly.

Guess experience with old V-8s doesn't really mean you know anything about modern cars.

Edited by Idahoser
  • Like 2