After market hitch with hands free tailgate

Like I said in the other thread, the hidden hitch does not interfere with the kick sensor at all. Not sure about other brands as their design is different and it's possible you might get some interference. It will still work but the area that you can kick may be smaller.

• Like 1

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that you just have to move the sensor. I was looking into this as well and could have sworn I saw a video where they moved the sensor. But I did find this in my search, may shoot for this one. Just need it for a bike carrier not towing anything with it.

Also etrailer has this posted it's for the 2015 but 2016 should not have changed enough to make a difference:

Question:

Hi there, I am just wondering if using this trailer hitch , if the kick power lifgate on the 2015 Ford Edge needs to be disabled? I have been told by some people that if the hitch is the right design it will still work but others believe that it will need to be diabled. Thanks in advance for your help.

Expert Reply:

I spoke to my contact at Curt and he said that the hitch part # C13224 will still allow the powered liftgate of your 2015 Ford Edge to function. He said that as long as you don't put your foot directly under the hitch opening it will still function.

• Like 1

Do you think a different style hitch would work better? Like this one.

The safty chain hooks go down instead of out to the sides.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2016/75234.html?vehicleid=201642262

Thanks

I've got this hitch. I can say that the sensor will work, primarily on one side. I dont remember which side as I ended up blocking the sensor with other things.

Oh hi,

I bought this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2017/75234.html?vehicleid=201742261

for my 2017 Edge Sport. Install went fine, However:

There is a heat shield on the rear bumper that is removed and not re-installed. I actually removed the heat shield material from the shell and "custom" installed it. That interfered with the foot sensors. So I cut little pieces of the heat shield material off that were near the sensors. That works :) . Also the original heat shield seemed to stabilize the rear lower bumper panel. What I mean is, the lower panel seems like it would vibrate in the wind with the heat shield removed. I added some "straps" to stabilize the lower bumper panel. Also adding the stiff heat shield material also helped stiffen the lower panel. Also the washers for the inner mounting holes had to be ground down on one edge to nicely fit. Attached are some pictures. Note with the heat shield installed it doesn't have the cut-out yet, I discovered the problem after I took the pictures.

post-45950-0-68735500-1492650570_thumb.jpg

post-45950-0-84608900-1492650652_thumb.jpg

post-45950-0-38060000-1492650910_thumb.jpg

post-45950-0-13126000-1492650993_thumb.jpg

• Like 2