Hood Protection

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had this car since November and paint chips on a tuxedo black hood are a pain. Im also looking at covers to protect the headlights and some kind of skin to protect the bumpers but I have no clue what Im looking at lol. I have a lot of research to do and figure out how to apply something like that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had this car since November and paint chips on a tuxedo black hood are a pain. Im also looking at covers to protect the headlights and some kind of skin to protect the bumpers but I have no clue what Im looking at lol. I have a lot of research to do and figure out how to apply something like that.

I was thinking of Weathertech for mine, but I never followed through.

https://www.weathertech.com/lincoln/2009/mkx/lampgard/

I like yours and will probably get it but will that adhesive damage the paint job over time?

The adhesive will not damage your paint as long as you clean it and apply it correctly. It can damage the paint slightly if the adhesive starts to come off and dirt/debris gets stuck between, but even still, its nothing that can't be buffed out. I would stay away from the pre-cut headlight tint film kits. I have never tried using one, but I have used regular headlight tint film quite a bit and the film needs to be stretched and formed onto the curved surface of the lenses. With the pre-cut pieces, theres nothing to hold onto when applying it and you will most likely end up throwing it away in frustration after it gets all effed up. Plus you can get enough film to tint the headlights twice for what it costs for the pre-cut kit. The Vvivid air-release dry apply tint film is what I found to be easiest to work with. I was able to tint the long super curved tail lights on mine using this film after 2 failed attempts with wet apply film. The Gen-II headlights are fairly easy to tint though since they're only curved heavily in one plane. As far as protecting the front end paint, you can have clear PPF (paint protection film) applied, most dealerships offer it as an add-on option now. Most vinyl/tint shops offer this now too. If you have no experience with vinyl films, PPF is not what you want to start learning on. Its stiffer and thicker than regular color change vinyl or tint film. I don't think it costs too much if you are just doing the front bumper cover and the leading edge of the hood, maybe $150 or so.

Edited by roots57
  • Like 1