Navi Install

Yes way less expensive with way more oprions.

They take about 2 hours to do

Yes you retain the steering wheel control

If you already have the audiophile system with sub woofer, can you easily utilize the factory sub? What about amps, do you know if the Audiophile uses any kind of external amp for the sub, or is it all in the head? And if so, how hard is it to get output from one of the Pioneers to the sub?

Thanks in advance,

Rayo

If you already have the audiophile system with sub woofer, can you easily utilize the factory sub? What about amps, do you know if the Audiophile uses any kind of external amp for the sub, or is it all in the head? And if so, how hard is it to get output from one of the Pioneers to the sub?

Thanks in advance,

Rayo

It has a seperate amp and there is an adapter to plug in to that harness on the back of the radio.

What kind of parts do you need to get this install setup. it doesnt seem like you need much.

Receiver

harness

splicers and resistor ( what kind ) to keep stock wheel controls

different crimpers

brackets or mounting kit

options

speakers

siruis or xm receiver

ipod cable

is there anything that can be taken out or added to this list. I would really like to do this but know know 100 percent of what i need. I hate going back to the store for something I forgot.

Well we have sold a one to someone i here i think .

He bought a Avic D3 ipod cable and xm navtraffic with steering wheel control.

You also need a dash kit a wire harness and antenna adapter .

We can wire it all except for the park brake and vss if you want to do something like that and also install the deck into the kit we do that all the time for other customers then all you need to do is pop off the dash and tap 2 wires .

We can wire it all except for the park brake and vss if you want to do something like that and also install the deck into the kit we do that all the time for other customers then all you need to do is pop off the dash and tap 2 wires .

I assume VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor ? Can you tell us how to find this wire to tap ? This apparently makes the Pioneer AVIC D3 much more accurate for navigation.

...and find out how to bypass the nav/dvd deal while the car is mooving. Its not for me, but for the passenger rider.

I would think all you need to do is put a switch in for the parking brake wire (instead of connecting it to the parking brake) from the Navigation unit. When the switch was "on", it would think you are stopped and it would allow you to input whatever you wanted. When you're done, hit the switch again and it'll think you're moving.

I found out on the AVIC-D3, you move the yellow wire on the white connector from the bottom to the top. You then ground the light green wire on the black harness and the yellow wire you just moved. Thats about it. I head it works from AVIC411.com. How hard is it to remove the front panel of the stereo? How is it done. I think its one piece. Where should I start pulling from?

It has a seperate amp and there is an adapter to plug in to that harness on the back of the radio.

I have a Fusion and I want to hook up the roof mounted antenna to the factory radio. I have the factory/dealer installed unit. However, their audio folks put in the small Sirius antenna. Shouldn't you be able to use the roof mount antenna as it says in the owners manual? Any help in this matter is greatly appreciate because I keep getting the run around from all concerned.

Edited by logman

Also, where is the stock sirus wire run? Is it on the driver side or passenger bottom rail?

The complete sirius unit is located in the back of the vehicle open the hatsch pull the plastic entrance plate off and look down its mounted on the drivers side undo the two bolts unplug it your ready to upgrade to an aftermarket. the plastic cover on the antenna can be removed to use with your unit although my reception is not as strong as it was with actual pioneer ant. but I didnt want extra stuff all over the roof.

I found out about the sirius receiver. i wonder if they have to resplice a new connector when I get my Hybrid Edge in a few years. How hard is it to remove the front bezel for the stereo. Im thinking about doing a bazooka tube and a amp. I dont think im going to do the amp for the speakers. I just had polk 6x8s installed and they sound great with the AVIC - D3 built in amp. Before I get distortion, my doors rattle for some reason. Car is still quiet on the highway with the radio off.

• 1 month later...

Am I blind, because I don't see a writeup? :shrug:

Install looks awesome though and retaining the wheel controls is pretty essential IMO. Wheel controls has always prevented me from installing an aftermarket head unit in the past.

So you were able to retain steering wheel control... But you used an aftermarket sirius tuner?

Check out the write up from Ike. Its great. I have an AVIC D3 and spent about a grand on it with install. You need you AVIC, wire harness ( i think the one from the new explorers work), steering wheel controller converter (70 bucks) and your tools. Its about a 2 hour deal unless you have programmed your steering control deal before.