Factory NAV backup camera input

I have searched these forums extensively for info on back up cameras, and found some success stories with 2rd party systems. I've also found short comments that the Factory NAV system supports this, but there are no further details provided.

I am looking for confirmation that there is an input for a back up camera in the rear of the Factory Installed NAV system. If so, what

Also, does any additonal wiring have to be done, other than power to the camera and running the appropriate cable from the camera to the NAV system? I'm specifically thinking about a wire into the wiring harness to indicate when the vehicle is in reverse (and therefore knows to show the camera on the NAV screen).

Thanks

Kyle

I have searched these forums extensively for info on back up cameras, and found some success stories with 2rd party systems. I've also found short comments that the Factory NAV system supports this, but there are no further details provided.

I am looking for confirmation that there is an input for a back up camera in the rear of the Factory Installed NAV system. If so, what

Also, does any additonal wiring have to be done, other than power to the camera and running the appropriate cable from the camera to the NAV system? I'm specifically thinking about a wire into the wiring harness to indicate when the vehicle is in reverse (and therefore knows to show the camera on the NAV screen).

Thanks

Kyle

as of now ther is no "plug" in piece for the Nav systems, Ford intentionally(for more than one reason) didn't allow the nav piece to be utilized as a rear back up camera screen, thus moving the back up camera monitor to the rear view mirror. there will one piece from a this company soon http://pac-audio.com/

I also have a Edge Navigation on my test bench ripped apart in a feeble attempt to get the RGB output from the motherboard(from a car PC) into the nav screen but the refresh rate on the one of sync wires is way off normal standards.

you will have to dismantle the nav unit to make either my adapter(or most others) when it's available since it will be interrupting the screen signal.

the back up wire can easily be found at the BCM. it's all easy work except for the screen adaptation!

• 2 months later...

I am looking into this option also..

It looks like, and I am waiting to hear back, that those same guys - PAC - make a PAC VCI-X Universal Backup Camera Interface which claims Universal Video Back Up Camera Interface for Factory Navigation Monitors and though they make factory brand specific options, this one just seems it is universal.

this items instructions are dated 7/2007 - so well after the date of this original thread so this item may not have been available in 12/2007

when I find out more I will post up becuase this would be a very clean install to tie a backup camera into our factory nav systems if this gadget works.

Edited by Lex Talionis

When I was at the Ford dealer yesterday, I saw a rear view mirror that had the display for a backup camera built in. This is a factory Ford part but is supposed to be only for Expeditions, and F-Series pickups.

Just wanted to give you guys some food for thought.

UPDATE: Well.... got to snooping....That system is made by Gentex and is distributed after-market by the Mito coporation to other resellers (Part#:50-GENK242 $379-410) I gave them a call and they said it is 100% possible to retro fit on a Ford and not loose the auto dim or Sync!!!! So, you would tie your backup camera into this new mirror. the only issue is that the sync 'tube' (a white microphone tube) needs to be exposed and likely at the headliner. so... maybe some luck in this direction. not cheap mind you, but looks to be 105 DIY!

Edited by Lex Talionis

I am looking into this option also..

It looks like, and I am waiting to hear back, that those same guys - PAC - make a PAC VCI-X Universal Backup Camera Interface which claims Universal Video Back Up Camera Interface for Factory Navigation Monitors and though they make factory brand specific options, this one just seems it is universal.

this items instructions are dated 7/2007 - so well after the date of this original thread so this item may not have been available in 12/2007

when I find out more I will post up becuase this would be a very clean install to tie a backup camera into our factory nav systems if this gadget works.

:censored: just talked to them and they say this device will not work and the reason is that they to tie into the Nav disk wires and those are internally mounted in the nav head unit and not accessible so this harness/kit - or any known kit - will not allow this as Ford closes this avenue off. they said they might be working on something, but options are limited given accessibility to tap into the wiring.

they told me to keep an eye on this company also: http://www.navtv.com/ - but when calling them, they have no solution and seem to think it cannot be done in a DIY kit. they can do it for you for $800 IF you remove the nav radio and send it to them :) yeahhh right

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 months later...
UPDATE: Well.... got to snooping....That system is made by Gentex and is distributed after-market by the Mito coporation to other resellers (Part#:50-GENK242 $379-410) I gave them a call and they said it is 100% possible to retro fit on a Ford and not loose the auto dim or Sync!!!! So, you would tie your backup camera into this new mirror. the only issue is that the sync 'tube' (a white microphone tube) needs to be exposed and likely at the headliner. so... maybe some luck in this direction. not cheap mind you, but looks to be 105 DIY!

So how do I get it installed to my 2007 ford edge. I saw it on a site and you can purchase it for many older ford vehicles just not the edge.

you know.. I decided to bail on the idea the more and more I researched it. The mirror is affordable, the camera is affordable.. but the install could be a bit tricky and the big reason is that the mirror has the camera, but not the microphone for those of us with the Sync system. So, in talking to the Gentex rep, you literally have to rip out the microphone from your old mirror and put it somewhere in the head-liner, exposed, to still have usage as the new mirror does not have that microphone. They told me that 2 Ford dealers in the USA they knew of had pulled it off for customers... but mine would not try it and I wanted them to do it for liability reasons (if they messed up they would have to fix it) rather than me on that one as it was a bit risky I decided.

I am also interested in the back up camera for the Factory Nav Unit. Reading through the forums I found a link to an interface that works with the Ford Edge. The web site says to call for pricing, so I did. It is 250.00 for a two input (1 camera and 1 other .. DVD, computer, etc.) and you have to send the unit to them and pay 75.00 for the upgrade. (325 total) They stated they had a 1 day turn around. Sounded like they knew what they were doing on the phone. Also of note: The NAV unit is touch screen but when you update it you don't get to use the touch screen for a computer. Still works for factory unit.

http://avelectronic.com/NavigationVideo%20...0Interface.html

Also FYI they told me that the dealerships use their company alot and the price can be put in the financing when you buy the car. If I had known that I would have done that!! Love the 0% loan!! So I am debating on doing it and will probably wait until I save up a bit of money. I will post how it goes.

PS they have a multi input for 550.00 and 75.00.

Photo: http://www.avelectronic.com/GalleryPics/Fo...ury_Lincoln.jpg

Edited by skimaniaz

....send the unit to them and pay 75.00 for the upgrade. (325 total)

plus insured shipping both ways on a heavy item and time to remove/install the nav unit.

these ideas of removing your nav unit and sending it in has potential, but maybe 1 in 100 people would actually make that effort.

but good resource to add as an option

I got to thinking.. if you have the skill to remove the nav unit and send it in, why would you not have the skill to then do the same wiring they are able to do? why can only they do it and not us?

ANSWER: I was told it was because it took real solid soldering skills on the flat motherboard. so they only do it.

Also, here is an interesting photo I found while web snooping on the topic that shows the stand alone unit from a 2007. I got an email in to these guys - well, it seems they want $450 to do it and you also need to send in unit.

post-2453-1209688051_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

plus insured shipping both ways on a heavy item and time to remove/install the nav unit.

these ideas of removing your nav unit and sending it in has potential, but maybe 1 in 100 people would actually make that effort.

but good resource to add as an option

Very true!! Does the unit weigh alot? Hadn't thought that part through. Adding up quickly!! Still have to buy a camera as well as this. I already have a car PC so I was thinking it wouldn't be too bad... now I wonder.

no.. you can buy the Gentex camera/rearview mirror right off the web from several places - part # GENK242 - and DIY. The Sync is what complicates it. If I did not have Sync, I would have done the mirror swap already as it would not be hard at all to do the camera add/mirror change.

I only wanted Ford to do it incase the skrewed up the Sync microphone removal and placement, I could have then had them fix it for free.

• 2 months later...

so while at the dealer this weekend, I took a look at the new Flex (icky) but what was more interesting was that awesome new nav system by Sony.. very cool interface, more modern, Travel Link, I liked it. This new system also has a backup camera and interesting enough, the camera is molded into and part of the rear Ford emblem. it is centered just below and is part of the emblem. I did not do measurements - yet - but I am wondering if that whole unit - camera/emblem - is same size as ours and if so, can we buy it after-market and modify to swap over. That would be a great start as it would be a very integrated camera that is pretty well hidden. that would solve a clean camera install issue and I plan to try to measure it and get details on that piece to see how it fits with ours.

tvandnav2go.com now lists a NEW option for 2007 Ford nav systems (so I would assume also 2008) to attach a camera and use the factory nav.. I have an email in to get more data - cost, difficulty of install and can it be self installed. will report back. but it essentially looks like they now have a system you can install to the nav motherboard versus sending to them to have installed?? hard to say just yet as the have some new photos not there before. not sure if they are implying, as they do not say, this is still only installed by them when you send in unit or you can do it yourself now as that "new" reference and the photos are newer.

UPDATE: it appears they do have a newer system and it can be used in 2008 but it still requires them to do the install.

UPDATE 2: watch this thread as a new option may be released next week that is truly plug-n-play from the guys mentioned in post #9

Edited by Lex Talionis

• 2 years later...

no.. you can buy the Gentex camera/rearview mirror right off the web from several places - part # GENK242 - and DIY. The Sync is what complicates it. If I did not have Sync, I would have done the mirror swap already as it would not be hard at all to do the camera add/mirror change.

I only wanted Ford to do it incase the skrewed up the Sync microphone removal and placement, I could have then had them fix it for free.

So out of curiosity, where are you, or anyone else, installing the camera? There doesnt look like there are too many places to install it. The one i was looking to buy that came with the in mirror display looks online like it is a big boxy camera. Not sure what the best route to go is.

• 7 years later...

I also have a 2010 Edge limited that has the nav screen. Installed a camera that works (Tested with a separate monitor) but we can't get the system to turn on the function. Dealer said no, can't, won.t, no...... I'm pretty sure that it is possible. Have the video interface that goes directly into the nav unit. Thru forscan, I changed what I thought would be the change (APIM 7D01-01 X*XX-XXX-XXX Changed the astrix to a 2, and an a. Both did nothing. Please help.....