Lincoln MKX And Ford Edge transmission Problem

metrols

They issued a TSB to resolve consumer complaints. I never said it wasn't annoying, only that it wasn't a safety issue. All cars will do it under the right circumstances - the Edge is just more prone than other vehicles. And it's certainly not as bad as a manual transmission vehicle. Should manual drivers complain that their vehicle rolls back on hills when they don't hold the brake?

Should manual drivers complain that their vehicle rolls back on hills when they don't hold the brake?

Ok let's remove the air bags from our cars, becasue the guys that drive bikes have no air bags, and they have not complained till now, is that the logic behind that, right?

Please stop the absurd comparison of two completely different designed vehicles, the guys that drive stick are used to drive with both feet, for them that is not an issue, and they choose to do so, for us is annoying, as we do not chose so...and BTW how many guys drive shitf? One in every 100 drivers, or even less, so if they want to roll back, that is their prerrogative, I do not want it, and I have not in any of my prior vehicles, so why I should in this one?

I do not want it, and I have not in any of my prior vehicles, so why I should in this one?

Nobody said you had to like it. I understand it's annoying to some people, but it IS normal and ALL automatic cars will do it given a steep enough incline. But - IT"S NOT A SAFETY ISSUE and never has been. If it's possible to keep a manual transmission from rolling back then it's POSSIBLE to do the same with an automatic. And as bbf2530 pointed out the transmission is not designed to keep the vehicle from rolling back on a hill - you're supposed to use the brakes to do that anyway.

Just because it's annoying or you don't like it doesn't mean it's defective or a safety issue.

Nobody said you had to like it. I understand it's annoying to some people, but it IS normal and ALL automatic cars will do it given a steep enough incline. But - IT"S NOT A SAFETY ISSUE and never has been. If it's possible to keep a manual transmission from rolling back then it's POSSIBLE to do the same with an automatic. And as bbf2530 pointed out the transmission is not designed to keep the vehicle from rolling back on a hill - you're supposed to use the brakes to do that anyway.

Just because it's annoying or you don't like it doesn't mean it's defective or a safety issue.

I'm not saying that I do not use the brakes to stop the car, of course I do, but there is an instant in which you release the brakes and got for the gas pedal, that is where the problem becomes critical, as the other cars are not aware of the roll back, and they tend to be smelling your rear end all the time. There is not way you could be calculating this distance for others as a daily basis, right now I'm used to it, but trust me that when they got 150 reports of accidents because of that issue, and someone go to the court, or maybe someone a little above us place a formal legal complaint, then suddenly they will become a safety issue, and they will place the recall, so my question is, why waiting till this happen?

I'm not saying that I do not use the brakes to stop the car, of course I do, but there is an instant in which you release the brakes and got for the gas pedal, that is where the problem becomes critical, as the other cars are not aware of the roll back, and they tend to be smelling your rear end all the time. There is not way you could be calculating this distance for others as a daily basis, right now I'm used to it, but trust me that when they got 150 reports of accidents because of that issue, and someone go to the court, or maybe someone a little above us place a formal legal complaint, then suddenly they will become a safety issue, and they will place the recall, so my question is, why waiting till this happen?

A 5 mph fender bender would not constitute a safety hazard and allowing the vehicle to roll backwards is driver error - period.

A 5 mph fender bender would not constitute a safety hazard and allowing the vehicle to roll backwards is driver error - period.

To replace a cracked rear bumper will cost you easily over $700.00, maybe it will not be a safety hazard for the humans, but for the wallet, sure it is... :wacko:

So the TSB and the modification of the software, that was introduced in the plant in January, was just because of driver errors, as well right?... :baby:

Also I do not consider the rollbackwards while removing the foot from the brake and try to reach the gas, a driver error at all...period...we are not supposed to drive with both feet an automatic car, and we all do that in one way or another.

And sorry to tell you that I rather prefer that someone related with the design, maybe from Ford, take the time to offer any idea or any explanation, or maybe if they did, point me to the place where to get the right info, and place the period in the discussion, and not someone not related at all wit the design, and that could be somewhat guessing what the real cause for that design oversight was...

Edited by Kanatronic

To replace a cracked rear bumper will cost you easily over $700.00, maybe it will not be a safety hazard for the humans, but for the wallet, sure it is... :wacko:

So the TSB and the modification of the software, that was introduced in the plant in January, was just because of driver errors, as well right?... :baby:

Also I do not consider the rollbackwards while removing the foot from the brake and try to reach the gas, a driver error at all...period...we are not supposed to drive with both feet an automatic car, and we all do that in one way or another.

And sorry to tell you that I rather prefer that someone related with the design, maybe from Ford, take the time to offer any idea or any explanation, or maybe if they did, point me to the place where to get the right info, and place the period in the discussion, and not someone not related at all wit the design, and that could be somewhat guessing what the real cause for that design oversight was...

They chose the torque converter for fuel economy and chose not to change it after this behavior surfaced in testing - according to a Ford engineer. If you knew how torque converters worked and what "stall speed" means then it would be obvious why this happens. No guessing required.

It's annoying and there are a lot of customer complaints - that's why they tried to do something with a PCM change.

If you can't switch from the brake to the gas quick enough to keep it from rolling back, use your left foot or just go trade it and be done with it. It's not a defect, it's not a safety issue - it's an annoyance that any decent driver can easily live with.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

'09 Edge, less than 1,000 miles, second time it has done this - stopped at a red light facing uphill, fairly steep. Light changes, step on gas, loud clunk from trans, trans won't engage. Rev the gas like crazy, then trans engages and off we go. Other than these two incidents car rides like a dream, any clues? Obviously bringing it into dealer but would like some input. Thanks.

I never had a car roll back like this edge does even on slight inclines. I had 2 different re-flashes done and it did absolutely nothing. Was told by dealer the flash works on some and not on others. It really is hit or miss with these guys. I just learned to live with it and it doesn't really bother me now, but at first, I thought the car slipped into neautral on my first incline.

I never had a car roll back like this edge does even on slight inclines. I had 2 different re-flashes done and it did absolutely nothing. Was told by dealer the flash works on some and not on others. It really is hit or miss with these guys. I just learned to live with it and it doesn't really bother me now, but at first, I thought the car slipped into neautral on my first incline.

With the advent of good robust lockup clutches to bypass the "lossy" torque converter the converter stall speed has become less important, a lot less important. So what you are likely feeling is the effects of these new torque converter having a much lower torque coupling with the engine idling. Lower load on the engine when stopped, a very good thing for FE, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

Many modern vehicles now have a "hill-holding", "hill-startup" new TC brake control feature to make up for this new lack of torque converter "holding" capability.