Went camping at Rocky Neck State Park in East Lyme Connecticut last week took the Edge and Rockwood pop-up camper.

The Edge pulled like a dream 70mph on the highways and didn't even know I was pulling anything. :shift:

Around town and side roads I turned off the O/D and that helped with the quick starts and stops.

And before anyone asks the Brakes felt great normal fade under hard braking but nothing that had me worried.

The pop-up fully loaded weighed about 2,800 lbs

Over all great experience towing the camper. :hyper:

backing into the site

Before.gif

Unpacked and set up

after.gif

Ksanesses's ballmount looks JUST like my Reese, even to the ball-base hex impression. I got mine at WalMart...$19 plus ball...but not all carry them. My ball, too, is Reese and it fits nicely in the impression and needs only one wrench--1/1/8"--to tighten on the mount.

Ballmountball_800w.jpg

Edited by jeffreybehr

Ksanesses's ballmount looks JUST like my Reese, even to the ball-base hex impression. I got mine at WalMart...$19 plus ball...but not all carry them. My ball, too, is Reese and it fits nicely in the impression and needs only one wrench--1/1/8"--to tighten on the mount.

Yup thats the one I got its a Reese bought it at Auto Zone for like 30$ or something like that

Edited by Ksaness07Edge

does anyone know how big of a trailer you can haul with a ford edge? considering purchasing a trailer. does anyone know if ford offers a 2" hitch vs a 1-1/4" hitch?

The Edge can haul 3,500 lbs and the 1-1/4" hitch handles up to 3,500 lbs so there is no reason to go any bigger.

Edited by Ksaness07Edge

The Edge can haul 3,500 lbs and the 1-1/4" hitch handles up to 3,500 lbs so there is no reason to go any bigger.

the only reason that i was looking for the 2" hitch was because i can not find a four bike hitch mount that will allow pulling a trailer at the same time that is 1-1/4".

any help would be appreciated.

m

the only reason that i was looking for the 2" hitch was because i can not find a four bike hitch mount that will allow pulling a trailer at the same time that is 1-1/4".

any help would be appreciated.

m

Well if you already have the 1-1/4" hitch then I would suggest this http://www.etrailer.com/pc-HA~80303.htm otherwise you would have to have a custom receiver installed to accept a 2" hitch

NEVER tow anything heavy with OD turned on is what I've always been told. Its easier on the drivetrain components and keeps trany cooler. Should confirm this in the owners manual but I didn't see anything. Maybe the Edge is different but ask the dealer to be sure its ok to use OD(or not) for the load and won't void drivetrain warranty if used. Manual DOES say to replace rear diff fluid with a synthetic gear oil and drive it easy. After looking at the rear end just now, its a lil bity even compared to my lawn mover and I strongly suggest both. No full throttle, put in park when stopped in traffic, service more often, never over 70 mph when towing, tire pressure adjustment, A/C may turn itself off and more in manual.

No more than the Edge weights, I highly recommend trailer brakes(electric is best) and a cushioned hitch receiver(easier on vehicle) for any substantial load like 2800 lbs. If the rear of any tow vehicles sinks much a load leveling hitch will help distribute the weight and give a better ride.

Use lock tight and lock washer on the ball. Coat occasionally with penetrating oil to fight rust.

i can not find a four bike hitch mount that will allow pulling a trailer at the same time that is 1-1/4

Just a thought...what about mounting a bike rack on the trailer tongue?

The tongue weight is just as important as trailer weight. 350 lbs max for class 2 Edge. I once watched a cattle trailer get smaller in the mirror after the hitch bolts on the frame broke after a bump in the road. Weld 'em on ever since that day.

Found out why my 95 F150 manual said Turn OD off when towing while rebuilding its E40D. Found the OD gear worn, missing teeth and made of plastic. ACK! Now has a shift kit and ALL steel gears!

20 years of towing under my belt... take it as you will... and be safe!!

• 4 weeks later...

I talked with my local Ford mechanic. He says for the overdrive, you can use it as long as it's not shifting between 5 and 6 all the time. If it's down shifting then lockout overdrive.

I pulled my aluminum golf cart trailer and golf cart (total weight = 1300#). The golf cart has no top or windshield, so minimal air resistance. I pulled them 200 miles round trip. I pulled onto the Interstate and once I was up to speed let it shift into overdrive and set the cruise, within 1/4 mile it shifted back down. So I locked OD out the rest of the trip. I averaged 17.6 mpg at 75 mph. I don't think that is too bad. I do like that when OD is turned off, the tranny down shifts when the brakes are applied, but I still wish the gear selector had a few more notches in it so I could select what gear I wanted.