2013 Ford Edge Windshield

Hello,

My Edge is barely a week old and the first time I drove it to work, I found a small crack in the windshield branching out from the rubber seal and it is spreading. I have e-mailed the sales manager who sold me the The Edge and waiting their reply. I am horrified that this is happening and it must be a defect!!! Has anyone else had this problem and what are my options!!!

Thanks!

Hello,

My Edge is barely a week old and the first time I drove it to work, I found a small crack in the windshield branching out from the rubber seal and it is spreading. I have e-mailed the sales manager who sold me the The Edge and waiting their reply. I am horrified that this is happening and it must be a defect!!! Has anyone else had this problem and what are my options!!!

Thanks!

It doesn't have to be a defect although I'd say it's likely. The dealer will check for stone chips and if none are found it should be replaced under warranty. If a chip is found then it was hit by something and you'll have to pay for replacement or run it through your insurance.

Hi Bobbi!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the issue, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'm with akirby and believe its likely a defect. I haven't heard of any other windshields doing this, but I do remember a post about the rear window spontaniously shattering on at least one new Edge, I think it was still at the dealer and going though its PDI. Tempered glass is strong, but if its too snug or something hits it on the edge, excuse the pun, it will crack or shatter with ease, the glass may have had a burr or wasn't seated correctly.

In the end, as long as the dealer covers it, a replacement can be done as good as new. Just make sure you get it fixed ASAP as a crack from/to the edge (I keep doing it) of your window significantly reduces the strength of the glass and even your roof in the event of a rollover.

Good luck!

Thank you for your replies! I am taking it back to the dealership today after work. How does one recognize a stone chip? I don't even remember hearing anything hit my windshield. However, I understand that doesn't mean its not possible, it just makes no sense. It was raining quite hard the day I discovered the crack.

I just googled windshield stone ships and there are definitely no marks like that on the windshield! Fingers crossed its a defect. Today, its officially been one week since I drove it off the lot!!!

Run your fingernail along the crack and see if there is a divot (could be small).